Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yinhong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Hi,

Would greatly appreciate any help with this:

I'm using High Sierra 10.13.6 on a 2013 Macbook Pro. Spotlight is not working as it should do: whenever I search for a file it doesn't find it. These are non-library files, just standing pages documents and pdf documents that are on the desktop or in sub folders. Spotlight WAS working a few days ago, I can't remember exactly when it started doing it but only very recently. Nothing major changed on my laptop, no new software installed or anything.

- Have tried re-indexing using the Preferences -> drag in Macintosh HD -> remove it. But to no avail.
- Also tried restarting computer, to no avail.

Basically spotlight is completely non-usable at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
[doublepost=1533554163][/doublepost]Sorry, an update:

Just tried searching in Finder, and weirdly it seems to find the files when I set it to search just within my Home folder, but when I ask it to search the whole Mac it doesn't find it at all!

yinhong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks will give that a try
[doublepost=1533557024][/doublepost]Nope, sorry, still not working.

Any other suggestions besides a full reinstall?

Deleting the Spotlight preference plist and then restarting the computer seems to have done the trick.

Specifically, I deleted the following file

Finder -> (Username) -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.Spotlight.plist

Hope that helps someone else

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Better solution:
Use BOTH of the following, free, small utilities:
- EasyFind
- Find Any File

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.