Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Hi guys,
I'm looking into buying new ram buy my budget isn't that big. I was thinking about this one: http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by...gb-ddr3-sodimm-memory-cmso4gx3m1a1600c11.html . Could anyone identify for me if this is high or low density?
Thanks in advance!

Not entirely sure if my answer is right (I am not a RAM expert...), but 4gb is a pretty low number. Nowadays you can get 16 or even 32 gb RAM (Edit: JK about 32gb RAM. Apparently you can't get that yet for mobile) in the same space (well, only if your system supports it..). Personally I don't think high or low density RAM has anything to do with what you are running.

So 1st question - what are you upgrading? Laptop, desktop, macbook pro (what make/size/year), and what are you wanting to do (max out RAM, or just upgrade). Most Macbook Pros only support a maximum of 8gb RAM, most of the 2008 or older Macbook Pros support 4 or 6 GB, but it depends on model. Newer macbooks support 16gb, but that also depends on model/size/year.

Personally, I use Crucial RAM (crucial.com), and it's really good. They have a system scanner as well, to find the right type of memory for your computer (but sometimes the maximum RAM amount they say is wrong, its usually more than what they say but you will have to search around to find the true max amount). Probably cheaper as well.

Last edited:

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Not entirely sure if my answer is right (I am not a RAM expert...), but 4gb is a pretty low number. Nowadays you can get 16 or even 32 gb RAM in the same space (well, only if your system supports it..). Personally I don't think high or low density RAM has anything to do with what you are running.

So 1st question - what are you upgrading? Laptop, desktop, macbook pro (what make/size/year), and what are you wanting to do (max out RAM, or just upgrade). Most Macbook Pros only support a maximum of 8gb RAM, most of the 2008 or older Macbook Pros support 4 or 6 GB, but it depends on model. Newer macbooks support 16gb, but that also depends on model/size/year.

Personally, I use Crucial RAM (crucial.com), and it's really good. They have a system scanner as well, to find the right type of memory for your computer (but sometimes the maximum RAM amount they say is wrong, its usually more than what they say but you will have to search around to find the true max amount). Probably cheaper as well.

I'm on a 15" Macbook Pro mid 2012. I don't have to have more ram than 8gb. It just needs to be good ram.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I have an early 2011 15" MBP. I just upgraded from the stock 4GB to 16GB of RAM. I'm told that Apple says that the max is 8GB, but it's not true, as my MBP recognized the 16GB and is working much more smoothly now.

I also am using Crucial chips as a number of people with extensive knowledge of this stuff with whom I consulted also recommended Crucial chips as being very high quality.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I'm on a 15" Macbook Pro mid 2012. I don't have to have more ram than 8gb. It just needs to be good ram.

I suggest either OWC (I think this is the correct page for your model), or again Crucial (I'll leave it to you to find the page). I have crucial in several of our computers and never have had a problem. Their shipping is killer too (took literally 1 day to get to me on the cheapest, standard ground shipping.... :eek:!)

Also, depending on what you are doing, I would recommend upgrading to more than 8gb of RAM. I have 8gb in my Late 08 MBP, and I routinely max it out (then again, I go weeks without a restart, and have 40+ tabs open in Chrome, as well as running aperture and photoshop)... Anyways, I'll leave that up to you but just letting you know that 8gb is entirely max-out-able. If you do a lot of photo editing/video editing I would recommend more, but again, personal preference. 16 gb will be more expensive but totally worth it (I think) in the longer run.

Edit: BTW you cannot upgrade RAM on a Retina MBP. But it sounds like you don't so go crazy with it!

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I suggest either OWC (I think this is the correct page for your model), or again Crucial (I'll leave it to you to find the page). I have crucial in several of our computers and never have had a problem. Their shipping is killer too (took literally 1 day to get to me on the cheapest, standard ground shipping.... :eek:!)

Also, depending on what you are doing, I would recommend upgrading to more than 8gb of RAM. I have 8gb in my Late 08 MBP, and I routinely max it out (then again, I go weeks without a restart, and have 40+ tabs open in Chrome, as well as running aperture and photoshop)... Anyways, I'll leave that up to you but just letting you know that 8gb is entirely max-out-able. If you do a lot of photo editing/video editing I would recommend more, but again, personal preference. 16 gb will be more expensive but totally worth it (I think) in the longer run.

Edit: BTW you cannot upgrade RAM on a Retina MBP. But it sounds like you don't so go crazy with it!

I mostly use my Mac for producing with Ableton and some simple gaming so 8gb will be enough. As almost every post here and a lot of em forum wide mentioned Crucial as good ram, I went with the crucial Mac ram (which should match the specs of apple ram), so that should be good in any case. I've also heard a lot of good things about OWC but I live in the Netherlands and I haven't found any local retailers which sold them so the choice was easy. But anyway thanks guys! ^^

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I mostly use my Mac for producing with Ableton and some simple gaming so 8gb will be enough. As almost every post here and a lot of em forum wide mentioned Crucial as good ram, I went with the crucial Mac ram (which should match the specs of apple ram), so that should be good in any case. I've also heard a lot of good things about OWC but I live in the Netherlands and I haven't found any local retailers which sold them so the choice was easy. But anyway thanks guys! ^^

No problem! If you're good with all of this you could edit your first post (using the advanced editor) and add a resolved prefix (if we have answered all your questions).

Anyways, I guess you're Dutch? I have relatives in the Netherlands. Gotta love Hagelslag! :D

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
I don't know about high or low density (Are you sure you don't mean low-voltage/low-power?), but I installed a pair of Corsair Vengeance 8GB (16GB total) modules in my mid-2012 MBP and they've been in there, trouble free, for over a year.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I don't know about high or low density (Are you sure you don't mean low-voltage/low-power?), but I installed a pair of Corsair Vengeance 8GB (16GB total) modules in my mid-2012 MBP and they've been in there, trouble free, for over a year.

No I'm sure it's density ^^ I would get the corsair but these were a little cheaper and the minimum voltage of these was 1.35 instead instead of the 1.5 which corsair has, which may not even be a problem but they said it could potentially produce more heat, altough this could well be not noticable at all. Still I felt a little more at ease buying "Mac ram" as it's labeled. But still thanks ^^

----------

No problem! If you're good with all of this you could edit your first post (using the advanced editor) and add a resolved prefix (if we have answered all your questions).

Anyways, I guess you're Dutch? I have relatives in the Netherlands. Gotta love Hagelslag! :D

It's a pretty nice country indeed ^^ (aside from our language which is horrible xD)

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
No I'm sure it's density ^^ I would get the corsair but these were a little cheaper and the minimum voltage of these was 1.35 instead instead of the 1.5 which corsair has, which may not even be a problem but they said it could potentially produce more heat, altough this could well be not noticable at all. Still I felt a little more at ease buying "Mac ram" as it's labeled. But still thanks ^^

I went around and around with the whole voltage thing when the mid-2012 came out, the bottom line is that my mid-2012 MBP came with 1.5v DIMMs so that's what I put back in. 1.35v DIMMs are just fine, too, so no worries there and cheaper is cheaper. :) Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.