Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I hope I am not breaking this forum's rules by posting a photo from Alaska. Taken with a Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm lens topped with a Hoya CPL.
ChenaB.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm sorry, but the rules specifically state that photos from Alaska are not tolerated.

I hope I am not breaking this forum's rules by posting a photo from Alaska. Taken with a Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm lens topped with a Hoya CPL.

That's awesome. I love the colours.

I think it may look cooler with something in the foreground, but I'm not sure. Also, your name is totally distracting, but I guess it's OK being there. It does offer you some protection, after all.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Alaska is not accepted on these forums. :rolleyes:

Great shot though, nice colors and i love the reflection on the water.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm sorry, but the rules specifically state that photos from Alaska are not tolerated.

No, I'm quite certain it's pictures OF Alaska that aren't tolerated unless they don't show:

1. A fantastic view of a mountain, especially Denali.
2. A fantastic view of a mountain range.
3. A fantastic view of a glacier.
4. A fantastic shot of wildlife, especially bears, wolves, moose and Eagles.
5. Any scenery that can't be recreated outside of the lower 48 excluding Colorado or Washington, or the UK.
6. The Aurora Borealis.
7. Anything likely to be shown on the Discovery Channel or Travel Channel.

:D

It's quite clear however that this image should be barred specifically because it doesn't meet the total mosquito count guidelines outlined in subsection 23a of the rules which state "Any outdoor photo from Alaska should have so many native flying insects in the frame that it looks like it were shot at f/22 on the dirtiest sensor in the lower 48."

Yeah, that's it- that's the ticket!

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Isn't Alaska still part of Russia?? Or Canada, at least?? :rolleyes:

Makes a nice desktop on my 24"iMacA. My dock hides the ugly white writing on the bottom. :apple:

5. Any scenery that can't be recreated outside of the lower 48 excluding Colorado or Washington, or the UK.

Some members (and we do have some) from Hawaii will be totally pissed at this post. :D

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Mosquitos?

There were mosquitos all around me, and some showed in the photos. I had to remove one from the center of the sky in this photo. I do have quite a lot of photos of moose, landscapes, my wife's dog, and some beavers, but not Denali nor glaciers. I will post a moose on another thread.
Chena05-08.jpg

Jan 30, 2006
Really amazing photos you got there!

Tho, why the frames? They distract the viewer from seeing the beauty of the scene. Maybe a black and thin frame all around the photo would be cool, just don't cut out a part of the photo.

Again, great photos, make sure you keep posting them in the Photo of the Day threads.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
I just read the rules from the "FAQ/Rules" tab, and I didn't see anything about not being able to post shots of Alaska. Is this really a rule? By what logic is it offensive to post a picture of Alaska?

Jan 30, 2006
I just read the rules from the "FAQ/Rules" tab, and I didn't see anything about not being able to post shots of Alaska. Is this really a rule? By what logic is it offensive to post a picture of Alaska?

I think someone needs a new sarcasm detector here.:)

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
The error code on your display will indicate if your sarcasm module needs replacing

The second pic is even better for my desktop.

Thanks.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I haven't read the rules for posting photos in this forum. Since I have noticed that almost all the photos are being posted in the "Photo Of The Day" thread, I was not certain if it was against the rule just to post a photo of anything on a thread by itself.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The pic of the day thread was designed to consolidate eleventy-threeve different threads on individual photos.

I love the moose/Alaska stuff, but I think the best place is in the POTD thread. Lots of other good stuff there too.

SonicChronicler

macrumors member
There were mosquitos all around me, and some showed in the photos. I had to remove one from the center of the sky in this photo. I do have quite a lot of photos of moose, landscapes, my wife's dog, and some beavers, but not Denali nor glaciers. I will post a moose on another thread.

I scanned the second to last sentence far too quickly. I'm pretty sure the kind of pics it put in my mind aren't allowed on the forum. :eek: I'll get me coat.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The pic of the day thread was designed to consolidate eleventy-threeve different threads on individual photos.

I love the moose/Alaska stuff, but I think the best place is in the POTD thread. Lots of other good stuff there too.

I agree with with you. The problem is that it takes forever to open a page full of photos using slow DSL modems like mine. Maybe I am too cheap to upgrade to a faster service? :) :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

Beautiful clouds. Was it just a good day to take photos, or was there a bit of editing of that sky? My new D300 has the dynamic range to take photos like that that, but it really depends on the day, and on the clouds.

The 2nd photo is incredible......even better than the 1st. :)

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
He has air that you and I could only dream for.

But for how long is the question.

As to the problem of downloading the Pic of the Day, if it isn't, it should be de regaré to post them as [ tIMG ].

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Beautiful clouds. Was it just a good day to take photos, or was there a bit of editing of that sky? My new D300 has the dynamic range to take photos like that that, but it really depends on the day, and on the clouds.

The 2nd photo is incredible......even better than the 1st. :)
It was just a good day. In reality, most sensors these days are capable of great dynamic range. The rest is up to the camera's software, and the one in the computer to interpret what the sensor sees. If I would have taken the photos during the harsh light of midday, or perhaps with the light reflecting toward the lens, then they would have looked much different. But I try to use the golden light of mornings and afternoons, and usually with the sun on my back. The only problem is that my shadow was showing at the bottom of the frames, so I cropped and framed the photos to take care of the problem.

I used a Hoya CPL to take those photos, but a little underexposed. Then I increased the exposure, contrast, and clarity with PSE6 in my iMac.

The best photo I have taken of this same area was when I hardly knew how to use the camera. I used a kit lens, and a cheap CPL, but the lighting was perfect, and the golden and rust colors of the Fall were all around. This is one of the series (have no idea where the best one is located at on my external HD). It was around 7:00 PM, with the sun at a low angle to my right as you can tell by the shadows.
ChenaBestFall06-1.jpg

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I agree with with you. The problem is that it takes forever to open a page full of photos using slow DSL modems like mine. Maybe I am too cheap to upgrade to a faster service? :) :)

If you're in Alaska I doubt many broadband services are "cheap". Even satellite isn't that great.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
If you're in Alaska I doubt many broadband services are "cheap". Even satellite isn't that great.

I have the basic or standard DSL service. It's a package that covers a landline phone, and DSL for around $49.00 per month. The next speed boost would bring the price to around $69.00, and then there is another faster service for around $89.00. But there are all sorts of services in the major Alaska cities or towns, including AT&T WI-FI. It could get quite expensive as the broadband speed increases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.