Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
Since installation of the GM of iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 Plus, and subsequent updates to 11.0.1, 11.0.2 and now 11.0.3, I always experienced crash of the springboard when closing apps, unlocking with Touch ID, and other unknown reasons. Frequency of the crash is 3-5 times a day and I never experienced a day without crashing. Sometimes when I tried to unlock the homescreen the phone became unresponsive despite still having taptic feedback from the home button. The crash usually lasts about 30 secs and everything returned to normal. Websites may reload and Touch ID on 1Password needs reactivating using the fingerprint button.

I have never experienced such crashing from my 9 years of iPhone use on a released OS, which made me start this thread.

Anyone has the same experience? It is getting really annoying.

Weaves

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2016
Costa Mesa, CA
Yep happens constantly.
There are a few long threads about it on here.

I called apple support and they escalated the issue so hopefully they’ll work on a fix soon. It’s a mess.

Reactions: haruhiko

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Since installation of the GM of iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 Plus, and subsequent updates to 11.0.1, 11.0.2 and now 11.0.3, I always experienced crash of the springboard when closing apps, unlocking with Touch ID, and other unknown reasons. Frequency of the crash is 3-5 times a day and I never experienced a day without crashing. Sometimes when I tried to unlock the homescreen the phone became unresponsive despite still having taptic feedback from the home button. The crash usually lasts about 30 secs and everything returned to normal. Websites may reload and Touch ID on 1Password needs reactivating using the fingerprint button.

I have never experienced such crashing from my 9 years of iPhone use on a released OS, which made me start this thread.

Went through this with Apple on my 7+ 128GB - AT&T.
Reset device as new and manually reinstalled everything. What a pain.
It helped but did not 100% clear up the issue.

Maarked

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
I posted about this too right after We upgraded to iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 Plus and wife’s 7. Random springboard crashes and Touch ID failure to respond happens many times per day. It’s almost as if touchId crashes and I can sit there and click haptic all I want, but it will only come back after 5-20 seconds. Still have the issue with 11.0.3. Can’t beleive we have these issues, not very Apple like.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
Today's symptom:
A Whatsapp text came, 3D touch to reply, send, crash again.

ManuCH

macrumors 65832
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I had this as well. For me, the issue was with an app (Spark) that had a corrupt SQLite database. I found this by combing through Xcode console logs.

What happened is that when I used Spark, about 30 seconds *after* using it I would get a respring. Maybe I was 3D touching something, or opening another app, then *bam* -> respring. It was really hard to connect the dots.

In my case, I deleted and reinstalled Spark. All good. So I suggest you find the culprit, it will likely be one app.

djcristi

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
Bucharest , Romania
hi. i'm having this issue on my 7 plus with ios 11.0.3 (and also beta 3 on which i updated today). A few times a day it hangs : when the screen is off (locked) and i try to press any button it only vibrates (on home button) but the screen doesn't come on. The apps in background run ok (music playing etc) but i can only fix it by force restart.

In the past week in happened 3-4 times a day. I don't know if it's app related (i always had Waze and Deezer running in background and connected to bluetooth headset)

vrflyer

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Suburb of Columbus
Same issues here since iOS 11 & its updates on my 7 Plus. It happens every other several days. HARD RESET is the only way to get out of the "black/crash" for me. Apple fix this !

Weaves

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2016
Costa Mesa, CA
I’m on day 3 of being free from this bug- not one freeze since I turned reduce motion off.
If you’re experiencing it, definitely give that a shot.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I’m on day 3 of being free from this bug- not one freeze since I turned reduce motion off.
If you’re experiencing it, definitely give that a shot.

I've had Reduced Motion on since they first gave that option way back when, and I had the black screen once on my 8. In my case, was using the camera, then tapping home button to get out of it.

Reduce Motion might cut it down, but probably won't totally eliminate the issue.

Edit: approaching 72 hrs since black screen occurred.

Edit2: went about 74-75 hrs and locked up on me deleting an app and then trying to go to App Store.

Last edited:

Electrolite82

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2016

I’m having the same issues on the regular 7,Unresponsive screen,Constant app lag,Screen lag.I hate iOS 11

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
I want to like iOS 11 but with all the crashing... I just lost my game progress due to the crash.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
I guess the problem has been solved by iOS 11.1 update. Zero crash for the past 12 hours of use.

Reactions: djcristi

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

Had this on my sons 6S Plus. Did a full backup. DFU restore. Restored the backup, dis a settings reset.

Issue persisted.

Removed all apps. Added back one at a time and it’s been fine since.

Go figure ???

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
I get springboard crashes once a day on 11.2.5. I went back to 11.2.2 but battery life is horrid. Anyone else experiencing springboard crashes on 11.2.5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.