Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Saw an article on the Microsoft News site (on my iPhone app) about antivirus software for the iPhone. Had never looked into it, so I started browsing here and on the internet. Also looked and saw that there are antivirus apps in the iPhone App store. All I got was confused! Can't find much on Macrumors about it; everything seems to go to a Mac instead of an iPhone issue. Are there real concerns for spyware or malware or viruses on the iPhone? What would be good steps to take to prevent an "infection"? Any suggested apps?

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
The best way to prevent viruses is to be careful when installing new apps imo. There have been some incidents of iOS "Viruses", but they are extremly rare. No need to install an anti-virus app. Having anti-virus apps on non-Windows devices usually have one purpose; Protecting your Windows-Pcs.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The best way to prevent viruses is to be careful when installing new apps imo. There have been some incidents of iOS "Viruses", but they are extremly rare. No need to install an anti-virus app. Having anti-virus apps on non-Windows devices usually have one purpose; Protecting your Windows-Pcs.
Malware (which you linked to) is not the same thing as a virus.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Malware (which you linked to) is not the same thing as a virus.
I understand that. Reason I included virus alone with malware and spyware was that the article I read talked about all three together and recommended apps for all three. Gave the impression that all three could become a problem.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Malware, short for “malicious software” is an umbrella term.

"Malware is considered an annoying or harmful type of software intended to secretly access a device without the user's knowledge. Types of malware include spyware, adware, phishing, viruses, trojan horses, worms, rootkits, ransomware and browser hijackers."
(Source)

"Malware refers to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software, including computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, ransomware, spyware, adware, scareware, and other malicious programs".
(Source)

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
From what I've seen so far most "antivirus/security software" for iOS are just backup/filevault solutions, nothing similar to antivirus in terms of Windows or Android. It's technically not possible for them to work due to sandbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.