Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iras

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Hi all ,

So I have an iMac 2017 with Fusion.
Since my first iMac that could have a fusion drive first thing I did when I mode the Mac was to destroy the core storage and split the SSD from the HDD.
Using a external Thunderbolt SSD everything was always speedy and had some slow storage in my Mac whenever needed for archiving stuff.

This came in to my mind today ..

There are two Fusion iMacs in the market. The 1TB Fusion that comes with a 24GB SSD and the 2or3 TB iMacs that come with a 120+ SSD.

Do you believe it could work to have the following ... ?

1 SSD broken in two partitions A:100 GB B:24 GB and create a fusion drive with the 24GB Partition with the HDD ??

It would be like having a always speedy SSD for what you always use and a very fast fusion drive for storage.

Many will say. ok then why don't you just restore the fusion drive and as fusion does software optimisation based on what you use to have it stored in the SSD that means you will get a descent speed.
Well that's the thing, what I always use is almost always on, what I am not using though is what I need to load fast.
Its like looking for something around the house. What you always use is on you , on your pockets or wherever you want them to be easily accessible , but what I care about is when I want something that is in a drawer to know exactly where it is and have it out in a giphy.

To make things even harder , what about having the following

100GB SSD
24SSD+1,75HDD Fusion Drive
250 GB HDD for Bootcamp.

Reason of posting this , is in case any of the core storage Masters of the forum commenting based on their experience if it will work or not and maybe even have any suggestions.

Cheerio :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.