Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rover-rotter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
Oh jeez. The ssd storage in me 2012 mba up & died...or at least went missing. Disk recovery via net reload was no help. Alas, once I replaced the ssd, ....and formatted, I was able to perform the aforementioned net recovery, which resulted in a semi useful 10.8 os. (attemting to upgrade to 10.13 is another story).

What I would like to know ....not surprisingly...is how to recover data from the failed ssd. It is now living in an OCW external case...accessible via usb; with same status as... 'oh jeez' moment. Not recognized.

Also, I have seen some fud about the mba cable...which is not relevant for my 2012 mba. The mba has no internal physical space for anything but ssd...hence, no existing cable; maybe the mbp has sata storage.

Any useful & informed suggestion on ssd recovery welcome. I will search myself for ssd data recovery meanwhile....

warragul

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
My own experience and some research I did when I bought my MBA tells me that SSDs don't fail gracefully.
If the controller (which is the proprietary part, usually) goes bad then it's Goodnight Irene. If the storage goes bad the drive will usually let you know via S.M.A.R.T. How long you have probably depends on how often you look at the S.M.A.R.T. status.
But if the drive isn't talking then it's looking like a paper-weight. Sorry.

rover-rotter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
My own experience and some research I did when I bought my MBA tells me that SSDs don't fail gracefully.
If the controller (which is the proprietary part, usually) goes bad then it's Goodnight Irene. If the storage goes bad the drive will usually let you know via S.M.A.R.T. How long you have probably depends on how often you look at the S.M.A.R.T. status.
But if the drive isn't talking then it's looking like a paper-weight. Sorry.
[doublepost=1536155770][/doublepost] Agreed on the ssd un- graceful fail factor, and.i like the ''Goodnight Irene" obscure bit.
I doubt most folks know that Time Machine, although it will backup data, wont boot the OS...without a functioning ssd.
The craptop ssd died w/ a zap shortly after.upgrading to HIGH sierra. The only good from the.incident is i now have 5 recovery tools, and some forensics.
And finally found the excuse to replace/upgrade the logic board, and new ssd...so specs on the 2012 are newish...certainly improved...although video is same.

warragul

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I have a very vague memory of some Macs that wouldn't start at all if the HD was bad or missing.
Not that they wouldn't boot, but they wouldn't even boot off an alternative source.
Back in the days of the first IDE drive Macs.
Or maybe not.
Anyway, off-topic.
Oh, and congratuations on the enhancements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.