Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnyBoi88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
I have decided to upgrade my laptop with a brand new SSD (Samsung 840 EVO, laptop kit).

I was thinking that I should put the SSD to the mainbay as it supports SATA3. The standard MBP Early 2011 Toshiba 320GB 5400rpm HDD would then be moved to the optical bay, where the older SATA2 connection is more than enough.

Question: Will the vanilla HDD actually fit to the optical bay? From what I have gathered, the HDD should be 9mm or below for it to fit. I have no idea how to check the actual size of the HDD :confused: Which kind of caddy should I purchase for the HDD?

Last edited:

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I have decided to upgrade my laptop with a brand new SSD (Samsung 840 EVO, laptop kit).

I was thinking that I should put the SSD to the mainbay as it supports SATA3. The standard MBP Early 2011 Toshiba 320GB 5400rpm HDD would then be moved to the optical bay, where the older SATA2 connection is more than enough.

Question: Will the vanilla HDD actually fit to the optical bay? From what I have gathered, the HDD should be 9mm or below for it to fit. I have no idea how to check the actual size of the HDD :confused: Which kind of caddy should I purchase for the HDD?

The HD will fit - any caddy that gets good reviews.

I use to use this one - http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Unibody...0572&sr=8-4&keywords=optical+hard+drive+caddy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.