Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadoverro89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2018
Hello, I have a Macbook pro early 2011.

In short: I changed the battery with a compatible one from Amazon (not original) that works ok but I had 2 (3) ssd failure, the last ssd died after 2 month.

in early 2013 i upgrade to 8 gb of ram and an ssd Samsung evo 840 or some thing like that (it had hdd before), then in september 2015 i changed the battery with one compatible from amazon (fluoreon).

In 2017 i had an ssd failure, swapped another ssd (not a new one but already used in another pc) but it lasted only one year, i thought this was because it was not new.

In May 2018 i bought a new one (Kingston A400) and it lasted util today august 11 2018. Like the other Times the macbook started to be very slow at boot and usage, then after 2 or 3 boot The Mac could not boot anymore. The first time i was able to see on disk utility (or recovery mode) that the problem was the ssd failure, and this time like the other the Mac can not boot, on the screen appear the folder with a question mark (no disk found).

The battery worked OK, it lasted less then the original but no visible issue, I used the Mac connected to AC plug almost 80% of the time.

What do you think is the cause? I'm pointing out to the battery but a new compatible cost 55 EUR plus money for another ssd so I'm not sure if I want to find out, my Mac is a be a bit old...

Could it be the sata cable? Some where I red it can give problems.

If I bring it to the Apple genius will they consider it given the fact that the battery is not official? (I assume they ask me to put in a new battery)

Thank you very much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.