Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

semiauto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
Alright, so I just swapped my SSD with my HDD and put the HDD into the optical bay.

This is all being done to by my brand new, blank 2012 15" MBP on which I have no important files or anything that I need to move or copy to the SSD.

What do I do now? How do I get my OS (Mountain Lion) to boot on the SSD?
Thanks

Last edited:

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Install lion on a USB thumb drive and boot the Mac from it. Then install lion to the SSD.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/17/make-bootable-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-usb-install-drive/

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Alright, so I just swapped my SSD with my HDD and put the HDD into the optical bay.

This is all being done to by my brand new, blank 2012 15" MBP on which I have no important files or anything that I need to move or copy to the SSD.

What do I do now? How do I get my OS (Mountain Lion) to boot on the SSD?
Thanks

The easiest way would be to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the HDD to the SSD. Clone and reboot to the SSD afterward then you can just erase the HDD.

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
Just boot up your computer and hold down Option. soon a globe or folder thingy will come up and you'll be booting into recovery. Just make sure you have some kind of wi-fi or ethernet connected as you need it to download the recovery and Lion/Mountain Lion installer image. Once you're in recovery, go into Disk Utility and partition your SSD so you can install your system on it. Once you're done with that, click on the option to install/reinstall Lion (or Mountain Lion, depending on when you got your MBP) and it will download the image off the internet and install.

PS. You'll be amazed how quickly the system installs on the SSD. Mine was finished in 5-10 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.