Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Threatnique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
hey , I have a upgraded 2009 4,1 2.4ghz quad CPU system to 2010 5,1 3.46ghz quad CPU system. I have the gtx750 with no efi. I didn't feel much difference on speed after spending all that money on CPU. I'm researching the SSD drives , I'm happy to get the Samsung sm951 512 with a pcie connector. The read and write speeds seem amazing ! write @ 1200+ And read@2000+ ... I'm just getting to 140. Questions

Can I make this my main drive to boot from even though the gpu has no efi ?

Is it ok to update to the latest os ?

Or is there other drives you can recommend ?

Note the system is used for video / audio production and editing

Thanks

Threatnique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
Hackintosh doesn't need GPU with Mac EFI, that would do nothing, or even make things worse. And the boot drive has nothing to do with GPU anyway, so yes, go ahead.

Yes, it looks like Sierra is working on Hackintosh:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

Thanks , sorry I think I messed up by saying hackingtosh ... or is mine part of that catergory ?
I just read somewhere that using a ssd as the bootdrive with no efi can be a problem ...

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The bootability of a drive isn't affected by whether or not the GPU has EFI. In fact a Mac Pro can boot without a graphics card present at all.

Sierra definitely will work on a 2009/2010 Mac Pro, but I don't know how people with non-EFI Maxwell cards install OS X without being able to see anything. If suppose if you had a second Mac you could do it there.

Threatnique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
I've
The bootability of a drive isn't affected by whether or not the GPU has EFI. In fact a Mac Pro can boot without a graphics card present at all.

Sierra definitely will work on a 2009/2010 Mac Pro, but I don't know how people with non-EFI Maxwell cards install OS X without being able to see anything. If suppose if you had a second Mac you could do it there.

I've still got the original one, so I swap them over when I have to mantience things or update things .... it's so annoying ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.