Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vorkosigan1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi--long time lurker, first time poster.

I finally got my cMP, and right now I'm running the OS and applications from a SATA III SSD on a 256GB Apricorn PCIe card.

I want to put everything onto a single SSD, and I'm trying to decide between a SATA III SSD or a PCIe AHCI card. I don't do any heavy lifting, it's mostly text creation and editing, email, websurfing, and listening to audio/watching video. The heaviest stuff I do is occasional light amateur audio/graphics/video editing (last video editing was years ago).

So what I'm really looking for is snappy OS/UI response--I want windows to pop up when I click on them, fully populated, and apps to start ASAP. I just don't know if paying 2X the bucks (or more!) for a PCIe AHCI card makes any sense.

So if you've ever shifted from a SATA III SSD via a PCIe card to a AHCI PCIe card, what was your experience? I know the AHCI PCIe card makes a huge difference if you're doing heavy video editing, etc., but how about in just normal interaction with the OS, apps and files? Is there any real difference?

Thanks!

justinkr

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2017
A lot people says using pcie is faster but I never try once.Good/higher rams with strong graphic will help. I edit 1080 to 4k video without ssd pcie or any ssd hard driver. I don't think it needed unless ur working with cinema 4D or lot of graphic work involve with after effect.Just my opinion. If you have the money then u cam try.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For booting, loading apps, the difference between SATA SSD and PCIe SSD should be negligible.

900x900px-LL-1fb52e74_Screenshot_1.png

Since you already have the Apricorn card. I think it make more sense to go for the cheaper SATA SSD, and which has better balance between cost, size, and speed. The PCIe SSD is fast, but very sequential speed orientated, you have to pay a lot more, and possible less storage, for the speed that seems you can't really utilise in your daily usage.

However, if you mean "PCIe SATA III card + SATA SSD" vs "PCIe SSD + adaptor". I will 1000% go for the PCIe SSD. There is no point to pay for the expensive "adaptor" if you can get a much faster SSD and pay much less on the adaptor.

Reactions: itdk92 and Synchro3

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Sorry for the intrusion but just to confirm since this is the perfect topic.
However, if you mean "PCIe SATA III card + SATA SSD" vs "PCIe SSD + adaptor". I will 1000% go for the PCIe SSD. There is no point to pay for the expensive "adaptor" if you can get a much faster SSD and pay much less on the adaptor.
I know that the SATA SSD needs the adaptor with the right controller (Marvell), but PCIe SSD needs only physical adapter? M2 to PCIe and all is good, no need for fancy things?
Of course, it goes without saying that SSD is supported model and AHCI.

P.S. I want to free up the ODD SATA port, so looking to move OS SSD from there and i found one new SM951 AHCI 120GB for 90 euros. I hoped to buy 256GB min, but I'm debating right now should i buy 120GB, since i would pay more for the SATA PCIe adapter itself...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.