Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkCan1971

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Scotland, uk
i have Mac mini 2012 late bought specifically to help me learn to get into some coding. Internal has 2x2 ram and standard HDD drive.

Can I use an external usb ssd drive as main drive to help speed up my machine.That is to install os and also use (as if it was internal drive?) and run everything from there by passing internal hdd?

I wish to use SSD drive but do not wish to open and upgrade myself. I am tight on cash at the moment and can not afford for apple or 3rd party to open and install for me.

I would then hope to have that drive could be installed internally at later date.

Any problems or issues with this?

I’m thinking ram upgrade as well but may benefit first from ssd upgrade?

This is my first mac machine.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Can I use an external usb ssd drive as main drive to help speed up my machine.That is to install os and also use (as if it was internal drive?) and run everything from there by passing internal hdd?
I wish to use SSD drive but do not wish to open and upgrade myself. I am tight on cash at the moment and can not afford for apple or 3rd party to open and install for me."

This works VERY well.
The improvements in speed will be VERY noticeable.

I've been booting and running my late 2012 Mini for almost 6 years this way, from the day I took it out of the box.

You DON'T NEED a "large" SSD if funds are limited.
Actually, a 250gb SSD will do the job with room to spare.

Put the OS, apps, and basic accounts onto the SSD.
If you keep "large libraries" of stuff, just leave them on the internal HDD. They probably don't "need the speed".

The idea is to keep the SSD "lean, clean and mean" so it will run at its best.

Something like the Samsung t5 would work, or one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZTRY5IW?tag=delt-20&th=1

The Mac will run as happily from an external drive as it does from an internal one.
You'd be surprised at the number of Mac users who simply can't understand this.

Regarding RAM:
If funds are limited, I'd suggest these options:
1. Open the bottom cover, and replace the "topmost" RAM DIMM (one closest to you with the bottom off) with ONE 8gb DIMM (for 10gb of installed RAM).
or
2. Open the bottom cover, and replace the "topmost" RAM DIMM (one closest to you with the bottom off) with ONE 4gb DIMM (for 6gb of installed RAM).

MarkCan1971

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Scotland, uk
Thanks Fishrrman.

When I saw the option to install os to external drive then it made me wonder. Hence why I asked. I see no problem installing more ram myself and have opportunity to get 16g at £99 and even see the instruction on the Mac from Apple on how to do this in system prefs.

Your reply has given me the confidence to continue with your advice with the ssd external route and go ahead with this.

My late 2012 runs better than I expected with (2x2) 4g ram but I’m looking to up the usage to start using Xcode and it runs frustrating slow with current specs.

Thanks for your reply and links.

"Can I use an external usb ssd drive as main drive to help speed up my machine.That is to install os and also use (as if it was internal drive?) and run everything from there by passing internal hdd?
I wish to use SSD drive but do not wish to open and upgrade myself. I am tight on cash at the moment and can not afford for apple or 3rd party to open and install for me."

This works VERY well.

I've been booting and running my late 2012 Mini for almost 6 years this way, from the day I took it out of the box.

If you keep "large libraries" of stuff, just leave them on the internal HDD. They probably don't "need the speed".

The Mac will run as happily from an external drive as it does from an internal one.

Regarding RAM:
1. Open the bottom cover, and replace the "topmost" RAM DIMM (one closest to you with the bottom off) with ONE 8gb DIMM (for 10gb of installed RAM).
or
2. Open the bottom cover, and replace the "topmost" RAM DIMM (one closest to you with the bottom off) with ONE 4gb DIMM (for 6gb of installed RAM).

This works VERY well.

Regarding RAM:
or

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.