Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Hi everybody,
i recently picked up a late 2013 MBP 15 inch. I love it, but the problem is that it has the infamous Staingate screen protective coating delamination issue. I want to fix it because it annoys me, but not THAT much, because its mainly on the outside of the screen, not on the actual viewing area, but there is some on the actual viewing area, but i still want to fix it if i can, but i dont want to pay a lot of money to get it repaired by Apple, and its not eligible for a free repair by Apple i think. So, i have to fix it myself. Ive looked online and there are numerous guides on how to fix this issue, but the main thing is, remove the original coating, and apply a new protective film. I just dont have a replacement screen protector, so i went online to look for one that i could get. I only found one on Amazon that looks somewhat decent, but its a small company, the reviews are mixed, and doesnt look very high quality and apparently affects the screen clarity by about 10 percent. Or would it be ok? I want to get a high quality coating, and one that degrades the screen clarity as little as possible,while also being relatively inexpensive. Too much to ask? Idk. I just cant find a good one here in Germany.
So, does anyone know any good places/brands that sell good screen protectors for my MBP to replace its original coating? Or do i just have to put up with the screen issue? Can i still get it fixed by Apple for free or for not so much money?

Some pics showing the extent of the issue.
DSCN9858.JPG

DSCN9860.JPG

DSCN9859.JPG

thanks in advance,
Nicolas

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There are no "repairs" to restore a display that has StainGate.
The only solutions are:
1. Replace the entire display
or
2. Rub off ALL of the anti-glare coating (the screen will then be permanently "glossy"). Not "a repair", but for some users, this is acceptable.

There is no such thing as a "screen protector" that will fix this.

Do you have a brick n mortar Apple Store anywhere near?
If so, make an appt for the genius bar.
Bring this in, let them see it.
It's worth the time and travel to be certain that they WON'T replace it under the StainGate program before you do anything yourself.

The charge for a "paid replacement" by Apple will probably run $400 or so.
Do you want to spend that much on an 8-year-old MBP?

That one doesn't look too bad, yet.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
There are no "repairs" to restore a display that has StainGate.
The only solutions are:
1. Replace the entire display
or
2. Rub off ALL of the anti-glare coating (the screen will then be permanently "glossy"). Not "a repair", but for some users, this is acceptable.

There is no such thing as a "screen protector" that will fix this.

Do you have a brick n mortar Apple Store anywhere near?
If so, make an appt for the genius bar.
Bring this in, let them see it.
It's worth the time and travel to be certain that they WON'T replace it under the StainGate program before you do anything yourself.

The charge for a "paid replacement" by Apple will probably run $400 or so.
Do you want to spend that much on an 8-year-old MBP?

That one doesn't look too bad, yet.
So i should probably just put up with it, because it doesnt bother me THAT much? Because i dont want to spend 400 bucks on a machine i got for 270 bucks lol. Does it look acceptable?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
i know...it looks horrible. I think i either put up with it or remove the coating and apply a replacement coating myself...which option do i choose?
If you think it looks bad, remove the coating. If you think it’s then too reflective your options are to buy a display assembly from eBay and replace it yourself, which isn’t hard to do with instructions from ifixit, or try an anti-glare screen protector. You are probably overthinking your $270 laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkTheHusky1902

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"remove the coating and apply a replacement coating myself."

There is no "replacement coating".
You can't put it back on.

The anti-glare coating is a very very fine particle-based spray that is applied to the surface during manufacturing. The fact that it IS "particle-based" and sprayed-on is a reason why it's relatively fragile and owners must take care to protect it.

Failure to "take care"... well... that's where "StainGate" comes from.

You can "scrub it all off" (there are Youtube videos on what to use and how to do this).
Whether you wish to live with it that way (it will just become "a glossy" display) is up to you.

Reactions: HawkTheHusky1902

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Thanks guys,
I think i might have to a) deal with it or b) scrub it off and apply a screen protector to it. Where do i buy a goos screen protector?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, might have to do that. Would this be ok? Its the only one i found but it looks a bit cheap maybe and is from a small manufacturer and the reviews are mixed and it degrades the screen clarity a bit...
Every matte finish protector Ive put on phones and iPads degrades a little, just the nature of the beast. It's only 12.40, give it a shot.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Every matte finish protector Ive put on phones and iPads degrades a little, just the nature of the beast. It's only 12.40, give it a shot.
Worth it ya think? Its my only option...
Is the degredation of clarity really noticeable? Clarity is important to me.
I might give it a shot, but the problem is theres no going back after removing the coating completely...

Last edited:

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Pay 12.40 to find out.

Your coating looks like crap now, removing it all wont make it look worse.
I agree, but now its bearable but it could be worse with the cheap screen protector. Whatever, i might have to just go for it, since i have no other options except to deal with it which i dont want to.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
If it's fine for now, then just wait a bit. You may get used to it.
The problem is it looks really unsightly and it will only get worse over time, so i should just fix it now probably. Will the matte screen protector affect the display's color reproduction/brightness? The one i linked also has a clear non-matte version, should i go for that instead maybe?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The problem is it looks really unsightly and it will only get worse over time, so i should just fix it now probably. Will the matte screen protector affect the display's color reproduction/brightness? The one i linked also has a clear non-matte version, should i go for that instead maybe?
Make a decision and act upon it.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeah i know im going in circles but will it affect color reproduction/brightness?
You paid 270 for a ten year old laptop whose screen has probably faded a bit over time. It never had perfect color reproduction even when new. Removing the coating wont affect brightness, but maybe the screen protector will. If it does remove the screen protector.

No one here can give you a 100% guarantee about this so just make your decision.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
You paid 270 for a ten year old laptop whose screen has probably faded a bit over time. It never had perfect color reproduction even when new. Removing the coating wont affect brightness, but maybe the screen protector will. If it does remove the screen protector.
But then i'll have a really glossy display, right? The retina display isnt bad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.