Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex87f

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2015
Brussels, Belgium
Hello guys,

I'm about to complete the purchase of a 2015 13" MBP, and have read about the anti-reflective coating wear issue.
In order to make an informed decision at the time of the transaction, I'd like to capitalize on our collective experience over the last few years and get a "helicopter view" of this issue. Hence my questions:

-What percentage of computers (approximately) experienced the issue?
-Are there any reasonable ways to prevent it from happening?
-Has Apple done any sort of improvement over the lifespan of the rMBP that would make a 2015 a better purchase?
-If a computer has the issue, I've read removing the coating entirely is a (cheap) solution. How useable is the screen after this? Is it comparable to a non retina early 2010s MBP, which to my knowledge had no anti-reflective coating?
-Overall, compared to what we know of the "flexgate", which is worse?

Best regards,
Alex

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I mean this in a polite way, but why don't you look for these answers yourself instead of asking others to do the work for you? You are asking a bunch of broad questions that would have to be researched in order to find out the answer. Instead of asking others to search for these answers, you should find them yourself.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What percentage of computers (approximately) experienced the issue?
No idea.
Not to my knowledge, though be careful in how you clean the screen

-Has Apple done any sort of improvement over the lifespan of the rMBP that would make a 2015 a better purchase?
The 2015 is a better purchase because it has a keyboard that will not fail.

-If a computer has the issue, I've read removing the coating entirely is a (cheap) solution. How useable is the screen after this? Is it comparable to a non retina early 2010s MBP, which to my knowledge had no anti-reflective coating?
A screen replacement is really the only way to resolve this.
To my knowledge, flexgate has the potential of affecting all laptops, i.e., opening and closing the lid over the span of years will cause the ribbon cable to eventually wear out. The staingate issue is only affecting a minority of people. I had 2012 laptop that was included in the repair program, yet my 2012 rMBP did not incur any problems. I don't know how big/small the issue is, but I think it was not affecting everyone machine.

Reactions: SDColorado

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
StainGate may be less of a problem on the 2015 MBP's, but the potential is still there.

I sense that Apple tried to "refine" the mixture of their anti-glare coating when the issue was first identified (on the 2012-2013 models).

If you pick up a 2015 MBP, and the display is still in good shape (i.e., no evidence of StainGate), then my advice is:
TAKE CARE OF IT.
That's the best way to prevent StainGate from occurring.

alex87f

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2015
Brussels, Belgium
Thanks for the replies - If I go through with the deal I'll make sure to take good care in the laptop.

I mean this in a polite way, but why don't you look for these answers yourself instead of asking others to do the work for you? You are asking a bunch of broad questions that would have to be researched in order to find out the answer. Instead of asking others to search for these answers, you should find them yourself.

I understand where your response is coming from, though researching it mostly led to posts from several years ago where people studied the issue as it went (akin to what we're seeing on flexgate now). I was looking for the type of response that capitalizes on a couple of years of hindsight.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I had to have 2 screen replacements with my 2013 13", but haven't had the issue with any model since. That said, I still have to say I have never been so afraid to clean a laptop display as I have been since the 2013 models. My 2013 scarred me for life man hahaha :)

I clean it exactly as Apple recommends with only a soft lint-free cloth and water.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
-What percentage of computers (approximately) experienced the issue?
I don't know.
Use MBP in clean room.
Which model are you comparing to rMBP 2015 ?
If you can live with delamination but if not probably the screen replacement is the best option.
Looks like some models 2016-2018 have a problem with flexgate. Previous retina models 2012-2015 have a round LCD cable, but new generation models 2016-2018 have a flexible flat cable. The problem with Staingate it's still not solved so even 2016-2018 aren't 100% safe, new Retina can "catch" the stains from keyboard when the laptop is closed

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I had to have 2 screen replacements with my 2013 13", but haven't had the issue with any model since. That said, I still have to say I have never been so afraid to clean a laptop display as I have been since the 2013 models. My 2013 scarred me for life man hahaha :)

I clean it exactly as Apple recommends with only a soft lint-free cloth and water.

This.

Over time people have realized that polishing the screen to a sheen every time there is a little dust on it will rub the anti-reflective coating right off. So IMHO option, the problems still exists, and likely exists on non-Apple laptops. I know they had similar issues on Dell XPS units because I did it to mine.:mad:

These days I am cool with the occasional bit of dust on the screen, and only use a soft cloth and water to lightly wipe once or twice over the screen. Never over and over, and never round and round.

Reactions: SDColorado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.