Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
There's these stains that shows up whenever there's fingerprints on the stainless steel band. They do wipe off completely with microfiber but as soon as I touch it the same same marks would show up again. I tried using alcohol to clean it but they won't go away. Did not have this issue with Pacific Blue or previous iPhones I had.

Anyone else has this issue? Should I return it?

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 1.54.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 1.54.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 1.55.07 PM.png

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
That really looks bad. If it's identical each time and there's no variations in the staining then it's probably stained deep. Might be worth returning.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
There's these stains that shows up whenever there's fingerprints on the stainless steel band. They do wipe off completely with microfiber but as soon as I touch it the same same marks would show up again. I tried using alcohol to clean it but they won't go away. Did not have this issue with Pacific Blue or previous iPhones I had.

View attachment 1710467 View attachment 1710469 View attachment 1710468
Tell me something. Did the frame feel slick from new or did it have some resistance to it? I ask because one of my gold pros felt different on the frame to the touch. It felt almost as if their was more friction whereas all the other two felt smooth when rubbing your finger over the frame.

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Tell me something. Did the frame feel slick from new or did it have some resistance to it? I ask because one of my gold pros felt different on the frame to the touch. It felt almost as if their was more friction whereas all the other two felt smooth when rubbing your finger over the frame.

Yes I would say there’s more friction when it’s completely cleaned.

Wish there’s a simple cleaner I can use to wipe it off. But looks like it’s baked in

Last edited:

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
Yes I would say there’s more friction when it’s completely cleaned.
Yep, one of mine felt odd like that also. That wasn’t the reason it was returned , just an observation on my part. The frame didn’t feel as slick as the others. Maybe something was missed chemically on the production line. This is just my opinion, but I believe the factories are cutting corners to meet production targets. We all know that in a factory line, equipment needs to be stopped at certain hours and cleaned and recalibrated. I feel these steps are being missed

Reactions: powerocool

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021

It looks like clear coat failure on a car. These phones are way too delicate. Stunning, but a sneeze will damage them.

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2017
Well, I have a gold 12 PM also, and these stains are not looking normal. I use my phone naked, and I do get some stains during the day, but they are no way near to yours. I wipe my device regularly with a microfiber cloth, and it gets just as new.

If I were you, I would return it as it seems to be some manufacturing defect.

Dan1308

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2021

If you did return it, did the new phone have the same issue? or did it get stained again?
I have the same problem so just wanna know its normal, or faulty.

Have you tried wiping it off with wipes or something? what does it do when you do that?

Reactions: svish and LFC2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.