Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arthur.n.olsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2022
I just purchased a new iPhone SE 3 and an M1 iPad Pro. Both updated to IOS 15.6. I chose to use QuickStart to set up both devices and also chose to copy data from the old devices and not iCloud Backup which might have been a better choice. Everything worked fine except the iCloud Photo Library. Both devices remained stuck on uploading a few test photos, less than 5. After 48 hours this resolved itself on the iPad Pro, iCloud photos library was updated. The iPhone SE remained stuck with the statement that it was uploading 3 photos. I left home this afternoon with my phone and the problem resolved itself. Testing at home it seems that turning of WiFi solves the problem if you only have a small amount of data to upload. My theory is that the background tasks that the Photos app is running on a new device are blocking the upload when the device is on WIFI but not cellular. My iCloud Photos library is not very large 12000 photos.

arthur.n.olsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2022
After further testing it seems like my problem Is linked to my router/home central and use of the 5 GHZ network on WIFI. Photo uploads work fine on the 2.4 GHZ on WIFI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.