Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaltedsnakE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
I don't know is this right forum to post this thread but I'm in desperate need of help.

Since last month, my starcraft 2 has gotten some issues with graphics. Certain volcanic terrain textures are broken and just like the snapshot below, the sword of a zealot is not shown. I'm pretty sure there might be more problems than I could find related graphics not properly shown. Am I the only one who has the issue or other mac users are suffering from it as well? and does anyone can help me fix this problem? I would really appreciate your advice. Thank you.

스크린샷 2018-09-25 오전 2.58.48.png

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
last 2 week play starcraft 2 story mode..I don't think any issue .Baseline intel 2017 imac

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
i'm not sure .. i will try to play after i install mojave a few hour next. Any picture of previous picture example,so we can compare before and after ? .

SaltedsnakE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
Here are the volcanic terrain with broken textures from the mission "The Devil's Playground" on Wing's of Liberty

스크린샷 2018-09-25 오후 7.09.41.png

스크린샷 2018-09-25 오후 7.10.21.png

notice the orangish incompletely covered area on where a fog of shadow and a cliff used to be?

SaltedsnakE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
Okay I just had an online chat with Blizzard support team and they didn’t seem to grasp the idea of what causes this problems either but they suspected that Apple’s official depreciation of OpenGL on MacOS version 10.14 and later versions might be the reason for the missing graphics.

I also find this assumption reasonable because one of the trials the support team asked me to do was to change “Graphicsapi=OpenGL2” section in Starcraft 2’s Variables.text to “Graphicsapi=MTL” and relaunch the game. After I changed/saved the segment and relaunched the game, the problem was still not fixed. I checked the text file again after closing the game, the segment was changed back into “Graphicsapi=OpenGL2”.

Since the issue is about graphics not being properly shown and I saw the game’s solid attempt to use OpenGL although I manually changed its variables, I strongly believe the latest update on MacOS, especially its becoming not to use OpenGL source, caused this malfunction in the game. However, I know nothing about computer so anyone has different idea or knowledge is always welcome to share one’s thought!

If the update is the cause, should I roll back OS’s version to which uses OpenGL? I’m out of idea now.

Last edited:

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Okay I just had an online chat with Blizzard support team and they didn’t seem to grasp the idea of what causes this problems either but they suspected that Apple’s official depreciation of OpenGL on MacOS version 10.14 and later versions might be the reason for the missing graphics.

I also find this assumption reasonable because one of the trials the support team asked me to do was to change “Graphicsapi=OpenGL2” section in Starcraft 2’s Variables.text to “Graphicsapi=MTL” and relaunch the game. After I changed/saved the segment and relaunched the game, the problem was still not fixed. I checked the text file again after closing the game, the segment was changed back into “Graphicsapi=OpenGL2”.

Since the issue is about graphics not being properly shown and I saw the game’s solid attempt to use OpenGL although I manually changed its variables, I strongly believe the latest update on MacOS, especially its becoming not to use OpenGL source, caused this malfunction in the game. However, I know nothing about computer so anyone has different idea or knowledge is always welcome to share one’s thought!
still got shadow so on.. maybe i'm on intel chipset imac 2017
** command ctl 5 snapshot don't work .. sorry dono how to print screen

SaltedsnakE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
still got shadow so on.. maybe i'm on intel chipset imac 2017
** command ctl 5 snapshot don't work .. sorry dono how to print screen

What do you mean by shadow? and the hotkey for snapshot is command+shift+3

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
I don't know is this right forum to post this thread but I'm in desperate need of help.

Since last month, my starcraft 2 has gotten some issues with graphics. Certain volcanic terrain textures are broken and just like the snapshot below, the sword of a zealot is not shown. I'm pretty sure there might be more problems than I could find related graphics not properly shown. Am I the only one who has the issue or other mac users are suffering from it as well? and does anyone can help me fix this problem? I would really appreciate your advice. Thank you.

View attachment 788093

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 00.46.35.png

I just tried it out on my machine, same thing here. However I have to add, I would have never noticed it. Here on my Nvidia it really looks like normal to me. I think there is no bug or driver issue. This guy just has this smoke sword and nothing in his hand. The little blue stick is everything I got.
In the second pic you can see the smoking sword out of his wrist, no handheld sword -if that's what you mean...

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 00.47.20.png

I highly doubt you have a hardware gpu problem, it looks fine on my machine. Maybe just bad programing and the usual bad mac port issue.

But hey, nice to meet some mac gaming heads here that are still rocking the old starcraft II
Greetings from the Oktoberfest !

SaltedsnakE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
View attachment 789313

I just tried it out on my machine, same thing here. However I have to add, I would have never noticed it. Here on my Nvidia it really looks like normal to me. I think there is no bug or driver issue. This guy just has this smoke sword and nothing in his hand. The little blue stick is everything I got.
In the second pic you can see the smoking sword out of his wrist, no handheld sword -if that's what you mean...

View attachment 789315

I highly doubt you have a hardware gpu problem, it looks fine on my machine. Maybe just bad programing and the usual bad mac port issue.

But hey, nice to meet some mac gaming heads here that are still rocking the old starcraft II
Greetings from the Oktoberfest !

I was able to see that "smoke sword" before I updated my iMac. There is even a sound effect of blade's coming out whenever selecting Protoss on versus mode but no blade? Maybe you should consider the fact that you might have the same problem as mine. Now I think it is clearly a commonly shared bug throughout mac users.

Nice to meet a mac gamer with the interest too!

Last edited:

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Whoa Thank you! it fixed mine too! so the cause has been the graphic driver after all...
I dunno really. I used the macOS driver and I used the nVidia web driver. Neither were working properly with the game while using any OpenGL API's. Changing it to the Metal option, both are working fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.