Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benschoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
Ah, just found it! You can drag every app over another one to open them in multitasking. Thanks for listening though ;-)

----------------------------
Hi there,

am I right that you can drag apps into multiple windows sessions from the dock only? This is really quite a drag.

In iOS 10, you could choose from all the recent apps in the vertical list. In iOS 11 though, this list is gone.

You just have 3(!) recent apps to choose from, one of which can be replaced by apps running on a nearby iPhone. So in that case we are talking about just 2 recent apps.

All the apps that don’t sit in the dock permanently and that you didn’t use VERY recently (within the last 3 apps used) are much more cumbersome to reach now for split for.

Is that the intended behavior? Why can’t you use the apps switcher as starting place for multitasking?

Bensch

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Ah, just found it! You can drag every app over another one to open them in multitasking. Thanks for listening though ;-)

----------------------------
Hi there,

am I right that you can drag apps into multiple windows sessions from the dock only? This is really quite a drag.

In iOS 10, you could choose from all the recent apps in the vertical list. In iOS 11 though, this list is gone.

You just have 3(!) recent apps to choose from, one of which can be replaced by apps running on a nearby iPhone. So in that case we are talking about just 2 recent apps.

All the apps that don’t sit in the dock permanently and that you didn’t use VERY recently (within the last 3 apps used) are much more cumbersome to reach now for split for.

Is that the intended behavior? Why can’t you use the apps switcher as starting place for multitasking?

Bensch

I'm glad you figured out the answer. I will say that Apple needs to do a far better job of illustrating how to invoke the various multitasking methods. And they need to come up with more intuitive ways to do it.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I'm glad you figured out the answer. I will say that Apple needs to do a far better job of illustrating how to invoke the various multitasking methods. And they need to come up with more intuitive ways to do it.

I only just found out about the “hold and drag icon to other icon to bring both into split view but for god sakes don’t hold it long enough before dragging for the wiggling to start because then it makes a folder as always” method of multitasking, and only because someone pointed it out. Without wishing to sound like a d**k, if I don’t work it out by experimenting after 35 years of computer usage and almost a decade of iOS, I have to think most other people won’t either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.