Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coastertux

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
I am a college student so I don't have much money, but what would be a good starter DSLR for a hobby photographer?

D34th

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
I am a college student so I don't have much money, but what would be a good starter DSLR for a hobby photographer?

There are plently of posts about this. I am also a college student and I chose the Nikon D40. Basically the Canon 350/400D or Nikon D40/D50 will be good and they are "cheap". They will be a great way to get started into the DSLR world...

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I love my Nikon D80, but it's a bit on the pricey side.

I say take a look at the D40. Pick a camera that feels good in your hands, goto a store, pick a bunch up, play with them. Basically, just find one that feels good, and is in your price range.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
Sorry to hijack a thread, but I saw another mention of the Pentax K100/K110D camera, and was wondering if this camera line is compatible with Canon/Nikon lenses?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
No. SLR manufacturers only make bodies compatible with their own lens systems.
There are third-party lens manufacturers who make versions of their lenses for the different systems.

For example, Sigma makes lenses for many systems, but their cameras only accept Sigma mount lenses (in this particular case, nobody else makes Sigma system lenses).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Sorry to hijack a thread, but I saw another mention of the Pentax K100/K110D camera, and was wondering if this camera line is compatible with Canon/Nikon lenses?

no, Pentax K-Mount....

Manufacturers try to maintain compatibility with their older lenses. Sony bought Minolta's camera division so those are the Minolta mount...

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2007
Chicago
I would go with Nikon D40 or D50. The D50 is a little better than the D40 and probably a little cheaper also. Though it would be hard to find since it was replaced by the D40, you can still get a good deal on a used one. I got my D50 used and most times I forget I even bought it used!

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006

Uh, well you could always start another thread instead of 'hiding' (from the general photo population here on MR)...but why would you do something logical like that...D'oh.

If you're going to jack a thread, then maybe one where there are some Pentax K110D owners...again, D'oh.

Like this recent one:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/310659/

To the OP, tell us what your budget is, and if you anticipate buying more than the kit lens, otherwise the field is too broad. Also state what your most common anticipated usages will be (what kinds of pix, what kinds of situations...out the wilds of nature, maybe the Pentax with better o-ring seals).

If you can fudge the $900 amount, the 2 kit lens that covers most of the range of the 'average user' (whatever that might be ;) ) would most typically use, I'd take a close look at all of the adjustments and especially the live view LCD (though it doesn't work 100% exactly like that of a PnS compact digicam) screen of the just announced (read the reviews in July) Olympus E-510.

Whatever your choice (some people hate the fell of the Canon, some don't)...best to try in person at a camera shop before you buy, being a beginner. Virtually a must, you'll need image stablization. Olympus uses CCD shifting, so it works with any lens attached to the body. Nikon/Canon use lens image stablization so that's built into every lens that has that function. Meaning 3rd party, and numerous Canon/Nikon lens do NOT give you that 'comfort zone' of image stablization.

People hate his site but check Ken Rockwell's notation on why image stabliaztion is so important, especially for a non-professional user without super steady hands or use of a tripod.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/image-stabilization.htm

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The K110D is not worth it given that it doesn't have the rebate that the K100D has.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I would go with Nikon D40 or D50. The D50 is a little better than the D40 and probably a little cheaper also. Though it would be hard to find since it was replaced by the D40, you can still get a good deal on a used one. I got my D50 used and most times I forget I even bought it used!

I don't know if I'd say the D50 was better than the D40. The only things the D50 really has going for it is the support for non AF-S lenses and the top LCD screen, but I think the image quality of the D40/x outweighs those problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.