Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
Finally doing it, after 5 months of doing it for free im starting my photography buisness.

Its small, Im a high school student and Im doing sports photography.
Im handing this flyer out to the coachs tomorrow at school, they have all seen my pictures so they know Im legit.

Adrenaline Rush Photography
Excitement can be captured
By Jake Botto

By Jake Botto

Individual picture pricing

4x6 $1.00
5x7 $3.00
8x10 $8.00

Pictures of the Sporting event can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingbotto
Pricelist for individual pictures will be given on request

Contact me for information

Contact
Aol: .....
Email: ....
Phone: ....

so tell me what you think, any advice, critque on the name or motto would help... and if u want to see my pictures just go to the flickr, my adress is up there or click the link in my sig

Im prayin I can take this somewhere, or else Im out some cash:p :cool:

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Finally doing it, after 5 months of doing it for free im starting my photography buisness.

Its small, Im a high school student and Im doing sports photography.
Im handing this flyer out to the coachs tomorrow at school, they have all seen my pictures so they know Im legit.

By Jake Botto

so tell me what you think, any advice, critque on the name or motto would help... and if u want to see my pictures just go to the flickr, my adress is up there or click the link in my sig

Im prayin I can take this somewhere, or else Im out some cash:p :cool:

1. Get business insurance as soon as you can.
2. Your print prices seem low, especially for 8x10, make sure you're not underpricing yourself.
3. See if you can do team calendars for various sports.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
1. Get business insurance as soon as you can.
2. Your print prices seem low, especially for 8x10, make sure you're not underpricing yourself.
3. See if you can do team calendars for various sports.

thanks, but Im only in high school and this is second to homework and such

and about the under pricing, I want to get my name out first and then start raising the prices (I got to make a customer base)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
thanks, but Im only in high school and this is second to homework and such

and about the under pricing, I want to get my name out first and then start raising the prices (I got to make a customer base)

Just because you're in high school doesn't mean you shouldn't run it like a business. If someone trips over you, you don't want to be personally liable, and if someone breaks your camera, you're out of a camera without insurance. I doubt it'd cost you more than $100/year. I pay $500/year for liability, rental equipment coverage and ~$20,000 of camera/computer gear as a sole proprietor- pretty much covers everything but earthquakes and floods. You get to write that off against what you make too, and 1-2 prints a month covers the cost.

Secondly- if you're the cheap guy, you'll always be the cheap guy. Someone will say "Hey, I got mine for $cheap." in a word-of-mouth business that *kills* your ability to grow your pricing.

If your work is good, it'll sell- sell it for as high as you can and still have a good market, and make sure you cover your costs. That way your headroom on pricing is higher too- a 15% increase on a $18 photo is better than on an $8 photo and it's less shocking to the consumer too. Be the mid-to-high end quality choice and you'll be much better off in the long run.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Yes your pricing does seem low, I would raise it a little bit. Have you ever looked into getting business cards? That seems a little more practical and professional. You can get them pretty cheaply made. Oh, and I've heard a bunch of great things from this place. One final note, make sure your prints are top notch. Do you have a printer picked out? I recommend Mpix or White House Custom Color. (Do a google search)

Good Luck!

Edit: Btw, after looking at your Flickr I love shot: DSC_3357. :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I do think that is great and yes, insurance is key. The statement you make of being in high school means nothing in business unless you let it. You need insurance. Keep your prices as you wish, they are low but building that customer base is more important than turning a huge profit. That said, how are you going to be paid? You should not commingle personal and business cash. You should know even as a sole proprietor or LLC with only one individual you really need to keep your funds separated. The second you said you are going to start a business if you put any cash down you need to be sure you can account for it. Better businesses have gone downhill due to mismanagement of funds.You said if this doesn't work you'd be out some cash. I can't see how much cash you've spent. Flicker is free or at least I thought it was, I don't see a website, and fliers are dirt cheap so the impression that you'd be out much--I don't see it. But since you did bring up the idea of cash you best be sure you don't commingle funds. I mean you can. but personally I take a photographer more seriously if he/she isn't asking me to make checks payable to them personally. I like to see a company behind all the hoopla.

BTW good luck to you. I always say that photography is a way to earn cash but since I like to eat and shop I work a day job. :)

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
I took a look at the soccer photos on your flickr, and a majority of them are severely underexposed. You should probably work on that before attempting to sell.

photoGrant

macrumors member
May 6, 2007
The first thing I noted with your pictures, is their lack of quality. Underexposed, lack of DOF, too wide, some not in focus.

I'd recommend investing in a suitable SLR and telephoto lens, and practicing your ability as an amature before delving into setting up your own business, more-so at such a young age.

Get your experience now, take a course in Business Studies after school, and then think about the possibilities of making a profitable business.

I don't wish to dishearten you, but it would be best to concentrate on developing your skill now, as it is the major key to a successful photography business, and without that, you'll end up with no clients.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
The first thing I noted with your pictures, is their lack of quality. Underexposed, lack of DOF, too wide, some not in focus.

About the lense, I have already thought abotu buying one but I also need to buy a car

and about the quality, I have already been paied for this many times, and I have been hired by my newspaper for entire seasons. What Im saying is that the people around here do not know what a High qualit breath taking photo is, They enjoy the glory shots. I have showed these to coachs that dont know me and players that dont know me and even professional photographers, They all have been pushing for me to open a buisness. Not every shot has to be perfect, and as for the soccer ones, I gto bored of editing and such and i just uploaded 90% of my memory card, the good and the bad, not only that but it was a very overcast day, and I did not belive i need to pump up the Iso ot 1600 so I left at 800... I guess I was wrong.

photoGrant

macrumors member
May 6, 2007
About the lense, I have already thought abotu buying one but I also need to buy a car

and about the quality, I have already been paied for this many times, and I have been hired by my newspaper for entire seasons. What Im saying is that the people around here do not know what a High qualit breath taking photo is, They enjoy the glory shots. I have showed these to coachs that dont know me and players that dont know me and even professional photographers, They all have been pushing for me to open a buisness. Not every shot has to be perfect, and as for the soccer ones, I gto bored of editing and such and i just uploaded 90% of my memory card, the good and the bad, not only that but it was a very overcast day, and I did not belive i need to pump up the Iso ot 1600 so I left at 800... I guess I was wrong.

Overcast is good, clear skies can cause harsh light and over-exposure of your shots.

What is your current kit at the moment?

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast

Your pictures are still severely underexposed. If you want to deliver a quality product, fix that.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Overcast is good, clear skies can cause harsh light and over-exposure of your shots.

What is your current kit at the moment?

Definitely right on the overcast. I'm gonna take a guess and say he has a D50, not sure on the lenses though.

photoGrant

macrumors member
May 6, 2007
On this photograph - please tell me you didn't use flash.

I don't mean any disrespect to you, but in terms of your technical ability, it's either severely limited by your kit, or you just lack any real experience.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
First off, separate non-sports and sports photos on flickr or even get a dedicated website. It wouldn't be terribly expensive.

From there, you might consider associating with the school and the teams so that people can order from them. Parents will be more inclined to order prints if they are giving a check to someone older than a high school student.

As others have said, some of the photos are underexposed and the fact that people in your area can't tell a good photo from a bad one doesn't change that. It's good business to deliver a good product regardless of competition.

Best of luck from a fellow student photographer,
wmmk

photoGrant

macrumors member
May 6, 2007
Looking at the EXIF on one shot, seems to be using a D50 and the 18-55mm kit lens....

Good call, blame it being 4am for me not thinking of doing that ;)

Invest in a quality lens. That's all I can say.

If money were no object, I'd invest in a few bodies with different fixed focal, high aperture lenses.

A D50 should be suitable with a 70-200mm f/2.8 of some sort. I'm no nikon man, so I'm sure someone else could point you in the right direction.

But I think, if you're serious and stubborn about starting up this business - That you should save every penny you own, and buy a good lens.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Looking at the EXIF on one shot, seems to be using a D50 and the 18-55mm kit lens....

Which pic did you pull the EXIF from? I tried with one and couldn't get anything. The only way I know it was a D50 is I found it somewhere on his Flickr page.

First off, separate non-sports and sports photos on flickr or even get a dedicated website. It wouldn't be terribly expensive.

From there, you might consider associating with the school and the teams so that people can order from them. Parents will be more inclined to order prints if they are giving a check to someone older than a high school student.

As others have said, some of the photos are underexposed and the fact that people in your area can't tell a good photo from a bad one doesn't change that. It's good business to deliver a good product regardless of competition.

Best of luck from a fellow student photographer,
wmmk

Nicely stated. Ha, you always give good advice.:)

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland

I'd recommend investing in a suitable SLR and telephoto lens, and practicing your ability as an amature before delving into setting up your own business, more-so at such a young age.

Get your experience now, take a course in Business Studies after school, and then think about the possibilities of making a profitable business.

I don't wish to dishearten you, but it would be best to concentrate on developing your skill now, as it is the major key to a successful photography business, and without that, you'll end up with no clients.
I totally agree with photoGrant.

If you are setting yourself up as a pro, you need to be able to produce professional quality work.
Keep at it, but you have some way to go before reaching the required standard.

Get the quality then go pro.

FJ

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
And honestly - it's not your equipment. Check out one of my galleries here http://www.jordanhacker.com/artattack.php. All the shots that are not of the artists (as in the stadium and crowd shots) are all taken with the kit lens. It's really not too shabby. However, I shot in Manual mode, and I understand my camera. You need to learn to shoot in Manual and understand what every function does and means. Then your shots will improve and you can sell them. Those basketball shots are terrible - but in certain situations the kit lens just won't cut it because there's not enough light. Learn your camera. Then sell.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Pricing can be tricking (I deal with photo pricing a lot). You don't want to be the same or more expensive then someone else who has been doing it for years, but you don't want to run yourself into the ground. Think more of the whole thing. not just the price of the photo paper. Hopefully your business takes off and soon you will need to buy more equipment. Look at everything you use for the business not just the final product that you give to customers. Also if you start your pricing off really low and raise it you run the rise of losing customers. SO having a slightly higher price will make it easier to keep customers down the line when there is a smaller price increase.

And most importantly when talking with a customer treat them like they are your only client, show them full involvement with them.

I had a business with my roommate that I tool over 100%, because I lost customers when talking with him. He would always talk about how much work we had, would grab the files of a different customer and so on. People like the feeling that a person is dealing with their prints and no-one else's.

Good luck to you, and after 5 months of photos you should have a pretty good portfolio going.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Life's like that- but if you're serious, then for sports a fast lens is important. If you can get away with 200mm, there's an EX+ 80-200/2.8 on KEH for $465.

and about the quality, I have already been paied for this many times, and I have been hired by my newspaper for entire seasons. What Im saying is that the people around here do not know what a High qualit breath taking photo

Lots of people around here know what a high-quality photo is. Many of us sell our photos regularly as part of our businesses, and you'll find that negative criticism is often the kind you *should* pay attention to. Burying your head in the sand in the face of honest criticism does you, your business and your customers no good at all. Acting like a spoiled brat isn't going to help you in the long run.

is, They enjoy the glory shots. I have showed these to coachs that dont know me and players that dont know me and even professional photographers, They all have been pushing for me to open a buisness. Not every shot has to

There's a heck of a gulf between someone saying "You should sell these" and someone saying "Here's some of my money for one of those."

be perfect, and as for the soccer ones, I gto bored of editing and such and i just uploaded 90% of my memory card, the good and the bad, not only that

Then you're not taking it seriously. That's dumb, never put bad work out there for a customer to see. If you don't have the attention span to deal with a single memory card then you really should think twice about starting a business where you'll be dealing with lots of memory cards.

but it was a very overcast day, and I did not belive i need to pump up the Iso ot 1600 so I left at 800... I guess I was wrong.

Underexposure doesn't have anything to do with ISO setting. If you're not exposing properly then you *do* need to learn to do that first. Overcast days are nice, the light's diffused- but it doesn't matter what light you have or what ISO you use, you need to expose properly to get good photographs.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Practice

After looking at your work its decent, but it lacks the pop you need in order to make great photos. As many of the other posters said, get your self some quality glass. Look for a used 80-200 f2.8 and a 28-70 f2.8 as well as for indoor the 50mm f1.8 or the 85mm. I know your budget is limited but you need the better glass to make better pictures therefore making more sales. Stick with the outdoor sports until you can pick up new glass.

You do need to work on your exposures. I know its tough to work with a kit lens, and available light but you have to choose your shots. Pick brighter days so you can shoot with the equipment you have. Also make sure you look at your meter to see if your underexposing or overexposing.

Now are these pictures on flicker your first sports photos or are these just the ones you have posted. you have probably about 250 shots on there and that is no way to think you can shoot and sell sports, even if it is for high school.

As for getting into sales take your time, also get a better account than flicker, your own personal website or photo sales sites such as photoroom.com, photoshelter.com, photoreflect.com, etc. Therefore you are saving time by not taking orders and letting them take care of it for you. Set your prices and let them do their thing. They take a service fee but it saves you a lot of time.

If you need more help I would recommend checking out dpreview.com forums and seeing some of the work on there. If you need or would like any help please pm me if anything. I'm just trying to help out as I was once in your shoes and I am still working on getting going for my self.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.