Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ulver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2019
Well, for no apparent reason, when I start my iMac and fill in as always my password in the login screen, a new login screen appears. Only this time my user account and password are not accepted. Same happens in Safe Mode, while Apple Diagnostics finds no hardware issue.

Please help. Any ideas?​

ulver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2019
thank you for the answer Fishrrman, but there is no need for screenshots now as the problem has been solved. or, more correctly, the problem cannot be solved because apparently something (no clue what) caused the admin account to lock itself. however, using the rm "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/.AppleSetupDone" command on Recovery Mode, I managed to create a new admin account with the same name in order to access my data.

currently I'm backing everything up with TimeMachine and later I will reinstall the OS

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"however, using the rm "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/.AppleSetupDone" command on Recovery Mode, I managed to create a new admin account with the same name in order to access my data."

I'm wondering if this isn't going to give you permissions problems with the data from old (and now deleted) account...?
Just having "the same username as before" isn't going to solve that...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.