Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
From the article, “It's not that iOS's code is more secure than Android's.”

I’d bet that Apple’s code really is more secure than Google’s, given that security and privacy are fundamental design goals at Apple.

Reactions: max2

bydandie

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2009
From the article, “It's not that iOS's code is more secure than Android's.”

I’d bet that Apple’s code really is more secure than Google’s, given that security and privacy are fundamental design goals at Apple.

"To be fair, the very nature of how iOS and Android are structured gives iOS a massive security advantage. It's not that iOS's code is more secure than Android's. All in all, that's pretty much a wash. It's simply that Apple controls all iOS hardware and can therefore issue one integrated update for all devices at once. Google can issue an Android update, but its release is dependent on the huge number of handset manufacturers in the Android global universe. That makes any security patch distribution far more fragmented and materially slower."

I prefer quoting the entire paragraph - it's more accurate. iOS gets issues like any other operating but system, but it's the ability to allow users to have the issues fixed that differentiates the platform.

I agreed about privacy, but that has nothing to do with security; you can have a secure system that haemorrhages the privacy of the user. Although it's rare to have a system that respects privacy that does the inverse.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.