Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mitkomitashki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Hello,
I am using my 16 MacBook and 27" DELL simultaneously but the dock bar is moving between them on a random basis. I want to stick it on the DELL monitor, but when I use the "Displays have separate Spaces" option I have a problem with fullscreen apps. When I maximize an app on one of the displays it affects the other? It turns black like it maximises the app on both screens :(

geejay9876

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2018
Same problem here. Dock keeps flying back to the screen of the M1 MBA and doesn't want to stick to the monitor. Any solution? Is this a Big Sur or M1 problem?

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
It's not random. The dock moves from a display to another when you move the mouse to the bottom of the screen a wait a bit.

Reactions: hwojtek

geejay9876

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2018
It's not random. The dock moves from a display to another when you move the mouse to the bottom of the screen a wait a bit.
Yes, you can force to move the dock that way but it also moves by itself to the Mac screen. I haven't understood the logic behind these automatic moves. I will try now the "automatically hide and show dock" option to see whether this is more convenient.

The other annoying feature is that freshly opened apps always appear on the Mac screen even if you worked on the monitor and opened it there.

Update:

The "automatically hide and show dock" option works great. The dock pops up on every screen. The only moot point was the small delay in the pop-up time. Today I found the remedy, see link below. This trick removed the animation of the dock pop-up:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.