Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djchristie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Falkland Islands
Hi all,

would it please be possible for someone who knows what they are doing to create a sticky on how to post a photo to things like POTD and the contest threads? I know how to attach a pic, but how to appropriately edit it first (dimensions, file size, dpi etc if relevant) would be great as it is hard to know what is acceptable. For better or for worse, I would post a lot more pics if I wasn't worried I would get a telling off for an image taking up too much space!

Thanks for your time, much appreciated

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Do you want to know how to attach it using the forum upload feature or will you be uploading it to a place like imageshack and then hot linking it?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Just use the following without the spaces between the [ and the ].

Code:
[ timg ]http://www.someurl.com/mypic.jpg[ /timg ]

The forum will auto resize it in the thread as a smaller image and when the user clicks on the image it will go full size.

It still downloads the whole image so don't post a 100Meg image but otherwise you should be fine.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
To attach an image by uploading in the vBulletin® forum which will auto resize for you. You are however limited to certain file types and file sizes.

Click on Manage Attachments
Picture 3.jpg
A box will pop up indicating which file type you can upload.
Picture 4.jpg

Upload your photo(s) (they will be listed under Current Attachments
Picture 2.jpg

Return to your dialogue box where you want to click on the paperclip (attachments) and choose which image to embed.
Picture 8.jpg

Your text will look like this when you embed an image. (minus the periods)
Code:
[ . ATTACH]182750[/ATTACH . ]

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
iPhoto can shrink photos.

Then you can attach it and if you want you can link to a full size image.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
To link a photo directly to this forum from an external website you will need to upload the photo to Flickr, Image Shack, Photobucket, etc. You usually have to resize the photo yourself but Flickr (afaik) will resize for you and you can link the image.

Copy the image URL
Click on Insert Image
Picture 12.jpg
A dialogue box will appear, enter your URL of your image (as stated)
Picture 10.jpg

Hit OK and you'll get this:

HappyCow.jpg

djchristie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Falkland Islands
Thanks for all the info folks, very much appreciated. For some reason I thought there would be some dark art to it all (has to measure xpixels by ypixels) but this is much simpler than I thought. I'll give it a go!

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.