Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
I was also waiting for the native sleep app to be announced. I'm disappointed but preordered the series 5 anyway.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
probably because there are literally dozens of apps that do this well already?
Lots of apps sure, but they don’t take advantage of the hardware like a native app. All the smart watches have sleep tracking. Especially as Apple is focusing on heart health. What better way than to monitor the heart during sleep!

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
So since this has the capability to be always on, does this mean we can set it to be like the current version and get a super long battery life?

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Lots of apps sure, but they don’t take advantage of the hardware like a native app. All the smart watches have sleep tracking. Especially as Apple is focusing on heart health. What better way than to monitor the heart during sleep!

that's literally not true. all the 3rd party apps measure sleep by tracking your heart rate and movement...using the hardware. each one has their own formula for calculating what those metrics mean, but they use the watch's hardware.

AXone1814

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2018
I don't think theres much point in having a native sleep tracking app until the battery life is sufficient enough to make wearing it all day and then all night viable. Sure you can give it a boost charge before bed and then sleep with it on, but you have to remember to do this each day and for most people they need to charge their watch overnight to have it ready for the next day.

Reactions: thegurio

judyg951

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2016
sunny So. Ca.
I don't think theres much point in having a native sleep tracking app until the battery life is sufficient enough to make wearing it all day and then all night viable. Sure you can give it a boost charge before bed and then sleep with it on, but you have to remember to do this each day and for most people they need to charge their watch overnight to have it ready for the next day.

I use a sleep tracking app and still have plenty of charge. I have never needed to charge my SS3 overnight. I am going to upgrade to the SS5 though. I'm going to be ordering it today.

Reactions: thegurio and gorkt

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The only people that need to charge their watches overnight are people who are away from a charger all day and all night.

Reactions: thegurio

thegurio

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
Hobart
I use a sleep tracking app and still have plenty of charge. I have never needed to charge my SS3 overnight. I am going to upgrade to the SS5 though. I'm going to be ordering it today.

I charge my watch while I am in the shower, and during my commute, in the car.

I don’t understand why people need to charge their watches more than this? When I had my S3 all it needed was a quick charge while having a shower, and maybe a decent charge once every 10 days, and that was it... With my S4 it’s a totally different ball game as it charges so slowly, but having said that it just means that I will charge it from 10 past the hour, till the next hour and not lose any metrics such as stand hours etc.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
When I use running apps and listen to music it kills my battery. This is my 2nd S4 (replacement) and it still will drain battery and need to be charged after a long run.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
9 to 5 Mac discovered code in the Watch OS 6 beta for sleep tracking. Many new features are not being enabled in the .0 round of software for the iOS 13 cycle. I'd expect that we might see something on this as new updates are developed.
In the mean time, Autosleep is working fine for me.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
9 to 5 Mac discovered code in the Watch OS 6 beta for sleep tracking. Many new features are not being enabled in the .0 round of software for the iOS 13 cycle. I'd expect that we might see something on this as new updates are developed.
In the mean time, Autosleep is working fine for me.
Who knows! They may add it eventually. They would need a toggle to turn the screen off on the S5.

It should be automatic. When it deletect you are horizontal, turn off the screen, bluetooth, wifi and when you wake up, turn everything back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.