Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alecmcmahon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Woodbridge, NJ
current d40 user looking to upgrade, i found somebody willing to trade their d80 with the 18-135 kit lens for my d40 kit (18-55) plus 500 cash.

does this sound like a decent deal? i primarly want to upgrade to use wireless flash capabilties with commander mode, and be able to auto focus non AF-S lenses ... like my 50 mm prime for example

how's the deal sound to you?

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
The D40 is $470 with the 18-55 at bhphoto, the D80 with the 18-135 is $1045. Sounds like a good deal in that sense.

Edit: how much use has each camera gotten. How many clicks. Wear and tear?

alecmcmahon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Woodbridge, NJ
The D40 is $470 with the 18-55 at bhphoto, the D80 with the 18-135 is $1045. Sounds like a good deal in that sense.

Edit: how much use has each camera gotten. How many clicks. Wear and tear?

the guy says no more then 300 clicks, he was planning on " shooting for hire " but decided not to.

i am also going to be meeting him at penn station in manhattan and do a face to face trade off.

Fiasco

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
New York, NY, USA
the guy says no more then 300 clicks, he was planning on " shooting for hire " but decided not to.

i am also going to be meeting him at penn station in manhattan and do a face to face trade off.

Wait... was that guy on craigslist??? I was supposed to do a similar trade with someone who had the same D80 kit, but he disappeared on me... oh well, there must be someone else selling a D80 in this city.

Anyway sounds like a good deal. that D80 kit brand new at Best Buy is $1199 plus tax, so for only 300 clicks it's a good deal.

alecmcmahon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Woodbridge, NJ
Wait... was that guy on craigslist??? I was supposed to do a similar trade with someone who had the same D80 kit, but he disappeared on me... oh well, there must be someone else selling a D80 in this city.

Anyway sounds like a good deal. that D80 kit brand new at Best Buy is $1199 plus tax, so for only 300 clicks it's a good deal.

yeh, he is on craigslist... what was his name?

alecmcmahon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Woodbridge, NJ
Eric something or other...

lmao ! ...... yeh. his name is Eric Eng, i spoke with him on the phone, was supposed to meet with him last night, but he said he had to work late and we'd re-schedule for tuesday.

I HOPE he doesn't flake out on me, i really want that camera

what was the story with you when you dealt with him?

Fiasco

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
New York, NY, USA
Well like I said, he pulled a disappearing act on me. He never gave his last name... so can't say for sure it's the same guy, gut feeling says it is.

Good luck.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Well like I said, he pulled a disappearing act on me. He never gave his last name... so can't say for sure it's the same guy, gut feeling says it is.

Good luck.

I'm 100% sure its the same person. What the hell are the chances that the exact same sale, with the exact same name could be happening with different people.

Chances are its a scam. May be a play to get email addresses.

alecmcmahon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Woodbridge, NJ

Good luck.

either way, im done with him, last night i ordered a used d80 body off ebay for like 650, with only like 3,000 shutter activations.

cant wait till it comes!

im going to be selling my d40 kit, hopefully pull in 400 beans and buy myself a nice lens to compliment the d80 ( prob. the 18-135)

- thanks all

Fiasco

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
New York, NY, USA
either way, im done with him, last night i ordered a used d80 body off ebay for like 650, with only like 3,000 shutter activations.

cant wait till it comes!

im going to be selling my d40 kit, hopefully pull in 400 beans and buy myself a nice lens to compliment the d80 ( prob. the 18-135)

- thanks all

I just can't trust ebay, but that's just me personally.

I went down to Adorama today on 18th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues and bought a used D80 for $650, they gave me trade in value of $200 for the D50 body, which is what I expected for an older model, so I ended up paying $450 plus $34 for a Mack 2-year service warranty.

The D80 I got is in flawless condition with only 800 shutter clicks on it, and it came in the box with all the accessories still sealed. Picture me VERY VERY happy... :D

So much for that craigslist dude.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Chances are its a scam. May be a play to get email addresses.

You may be right, but given that you can buy a few million email addresses for something like $100... I doubt it'd be a worthwhile way to collect email addresses.

However a similar-sounding scheme has been used for good old-fashioned burglary around here (Pacific Northwestern US). Usually the meet is set up to be well away from your house - say 30 minutes or so away. You show up, the other party doesn't, you wait around... and go home to a burgled house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.