Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snarler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Whilst overseas i was victim of a bike snatch - it was impressively done and very fast. I quickly logged in on another device and enabled Lost Mode and then 12 hours later, Erase Device.

The phone has a long passcode so i am pretty happy that it won't be easily brute forced. It's on the latest IOS16beta too so also a bit of PITA for a quick erase/restore . . .

SIM is also now disabled. It is still occasionally pinging its location (which continues to move around a bit) but that is because of the new mesh network thing I think. I won't be getting it back.

I use iMazing for local backups and have realised that I probably need to turn OFF activation lock to restore my backup to a new device . . . the question i have is -

Does turning off activation lock make the phone vulnerable? or will they only be able to erase and sell it when I do? [I am now reasonably fine with that happening - just want to make sure my data is safe by being erased]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.