Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello.

I recently bought an apple watch se 2, to better track my fitness.

I only want to use it when doing workouts, and I plan to keep it turned off 70% of the time (I absolutely won't wear it daily, as it looks hideous).

I can turn off the watch no problem, but I noticed it booted back on its own some time later, only to be prompted that my iphone unlocked the watch.

Is there a way to simply keep the watch off, when I turn it off?

Thanks.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
It does not turn back on on its own…or at least none of mine ever have unless perhaps it’s put on a charger.

Did you definitely shut it down?

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Bichon

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2019
Like StumpyBloke, I've never seen any Apple watch I've owned turn on by itself either. It does turn on when placed on the charger, but so do my iPhone and iPad.

arc of the universe

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2023
Hello.

I only want to use it when doing workouts, and I plan to keep it turned off 70% of the time (I absolutely won't wear it daily, as it looks hideous).

I can turn off the watch no problem, but I noticed it booted back on its own some time later, only to be prompted that my iphone unlocked the watch.

Thanks.
if you are referring to unlock (not "turn on") then possibly you can get some help in the Watch app on your iPhone (Watch/My Watch/Passcode/Unlock with iPhone).

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hello.

Thanks.
my S4 is laying on the night stand, turned off, for at least a month now, and my iPhone gets charged on the same nightstand every night ...

Are you doing this?

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
It does not turn back on on its own…or at least none of mine ever have unless perhaps it’s put on a charger.

Did you definitely shut it down?
I guess it might have accidentally turned on, as it laid into a bag with other objects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.