Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freddy1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2018
Hi,

yesterday I realized a strange behavior of my iPhone and I am not sure if this is intentional or a bug. I did some google research but couldn't find anything.

I am right now on vacation and I take a lot of videos on my iPhone (64GB), naturally videos take up a lot of space. Thats why I always check the available storage in the general settings. My photos app is set to optimize, which should upload videos to iCloud and free up storage on my Phone. I am right now on vacation and since I make a lot of videos and my internet connection is not always fast, my iPhone has a hard time of keeping up with the upload. BUT yesterday I was again out trying to take a video and the camera app told me my phone does not have enough storage but in the settings it said that there is more than 30gb available.
I am not sure what is correct, both is possible. It also deleted all of my downloaded music in the music app, which would indicate that it tried to make storage available for videos. And 4k 60fps videos take up a LOT of space. I don't mind that the storage was full, I DO mind that I can not trust the settings storage indicator.

My guess now is, that my iPhone does not count local videos which are planed for upload to the iCloud as used storage, when the setting is set to optimized. That would make it impossible to check the real available storage... Has anyone experienced anything of this sort too?

Thanks,
Fred

Freddy1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2018
On second thought, could it be that the reason was that i did not have an internet connection, and that it needs internet so delete videos which are already on icloud to check if they are really already uploaded..? Those videos would make sense to show up as available storage, since the iphone would delete them if needed.

k0bayashi

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
On second thought, could it be that the reason was that i did not have an internet connection, and that it needs internet so delete videos which are already on icloud to check if they are really already uploaded..? Those videos would make sense to show up as available storage, since the iphone would delete them if needed.
That could be the reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.