Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2007
You guys know of any places that do a sensor cleaning in the store. I have a lot of dust which my blower cant get. I'm leaving on the 10th for China and would like to have no dust obviously. I've called a couple local camera stores but they all send them out which doesn't work for me. If none do it in the store i'll probably have to get swabs with expedited shipping.

Dan Lorth

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
do it yourself. compressed air with as little humidity as possible, under 45 PSI and dont stick it too close to the mirror box and youre golden.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
do it yourself. compressed air with as little humidity as possible, under 45 PSI and dont stick it too close to the mirror box and youre golden.

Not really good advice. Almost all canned compressed air (which is what most people have access to) has propellant in it that gets all over the sensor.

Google "Copperhill, sensor swipe." It's very easy and very effective.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not really good advice. Almost all canned compressed air (which is what most people have access to) has propellant in it that gets all over the sensor.

Which is what my "link" shows. ;)
/runs

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
I'm ready to take my 5D to the observation deck of the nearest skyscraper and heave it off the ledge. I use both the Copper Hill kit in addition to the Arctic Butterfly, but I still have filth show up on my sensor despite it - which has something to do with the fact that I do so much HDR work. HDR really will accentuate sensor filth.

Dan Lorth

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008

it's actually still very good advice because I didnt say canned compressed air anywhere in my statement. Almost everyone I know has a 5 gal. compressed air tank in their garage to top off their tires/clean things/ blow little kids away. With that you dont have to spend bucks on anything copper hill makes and you can do it in 10 seconds in your garage instead of 10 minutes doing a science project on your camera.

Oh hey and valdore, 5D's actually had a problem when they were new (as im sure yours reletively is) where they would leak very minute amounts of oil that would end up as specks on the sensor. Best way to clean that is to take advantage of your 1 year warranty and send it to Irvine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.