Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
In the family there is an iPad and an iPhone of which i want to have backups of the photos and videos in them.
The iPhone's photos are already saved and stored in Photos, the problem is what do i do with the iPad, where do i store those photos&videos?

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Why not sync them with a computer and create a backup of those files then?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Can I sync them on the iMac that I already have my iPhone photos&videos as well? But if I do so, can I have them in a separate way so they are not all mixed up?

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Can I sync them on the iMac that I already have my iPhone photos&videos as well? But if I do so, can I have them in a separate way so they are not all mixed up?

Why not create a dedicated user account on the iMac for this iPad specifically and only sync with content that that user account has access to?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Well i guess that could be an option but i would prefer one account to rule them all ;-)
Can this be possible, to have both footage/pics from an iPhone and iPad on the same computer account?

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Why not open a folder on the desktop and name it whatever you like, and then plug in the device to the computer and open Image Capture.....the images on your camera roll will then show up in Image Capture, and you can then copy them to the folder on the desktop. After that you have the option of leaving the material on the device or deleting it from there. The files will now be on your desktop in that folder and you can put the folder wherever you choose.

Reactions: zoran

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I use FileBrowser, which allows me to transfer photos directly to/from my NAS. I have a lot of photos.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks @Clix Pix Im just wondering if ImageCapture is a kinda "manual" solution and doesn't keep some advantages (like photo location, time etc) that is kept in iPhoto.
And also wondering if its a better solution compared to creating a 2nd user account and keeping the photos there or not?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Well, yes, it is a manual solution. I do not use iPhoto/Photos and never have. When I take images with my digital camera I import the images from the memory card to a folder on the desktop, similar to the process I use when I want to back up my camera roll, and then from there take the images into Aperture, which I am still using. So, yes, Image Capture works well for me as it does not restrict my later placement of the images from Camera Roll in any way. I don't use faces and places or whatever that is called but I am pretty sure that Image Capture does retain the basic EXIF of each photo, which would include time and date.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
You can have multiple Photos libraries under the same account. I do this and have separate libraries on my Mac for the kids photo libraries. Just hold down Option while opening Photos to create a new library or select an existing one.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Why not open a folder on the desktop and name it whatever you like, and then plug in the device to the computer and open Image Capture.....the images on your camera roll will then show up in Image Capture, and you can then copy them to the folder on the desktop. After that you have the option of leaving the material on the device or deleting it from there. The files will now be on your desktop in that folder and you can put the folder wherever you choose.

this. or you can create two Photos Libraries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.