Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Ok, can someone please help me with this? It drives me nuts. I have an occasional crooked photo and want to straighten it. I rotate it until it looks good, which of course means it needs to be cropped to look straight. But when I try to crop, the crop is straight in reference to the photo (as in, it just follows the photo's angled side) so it's useless. I click on the side so I can angle the cropping frame, but often this does not create a perfectly straight line and leaves a little bit of a jagged edge. Is there a way to just make the cropping field straight, regardless of how turned the photo is? Thank you for any help, this annoys the hell out of me.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
Ok, can someone please help me with this? It drives me nuts. I have an occasional crooked photo and want to straighten it. I rotate it until it looks good, which of course means it needs to be cropped to look straight. But when I try to crop, the crop is straight in reference to the photo (as in, it just follows the photo's angled side) so it's useless. I click on the side so I can angle the cropping frame, but often this does not create a perfectly straight line and leaves a little bit of a jagged edge. Is there a way to just make the cropping field straight, regardless of how turned the photo is? Thank you for any help, this annoys the hell out of me.

are you turning the Photo using your Multi Touch Trackpad ?

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
Use the tape measure tool (it's shared with the eyedropper) and drag along the line you want to be horizontal. Then select Image>Rotate Canvas>Arbitrary Then just press ok. Tada. Done.

I don't usually use photoshop for that, but when I did, that's how I did it.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
I think the OP is using the multi touch Trackpad to turn the picture, but he is not turning the Picture but the canvas!

duoble click the picture layer , press Ok blah blah (so its not background layer anymore)

select "show tranformation blah" , rotate the picture the way you want it (you can press cmd+r and drag down a guidline to help you) then use the Crop tool

Done

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I think the OP is using the multi touch Trackpad to turn the picture, but he is not turning the Picture but the canvas!

duoble click the picture layer , press Ok blah blah (so its not background layer anymore)

select "show tranformation blah" , rotate the picture the way you want it (you can press cmd+r and drag down a guidline to help you) then use the Crop tool

Done

Do you mean Free Transform? I'm using CS3. How does rotating the canvas and cropping differ from rotating the Crop frame? You're still stuck with that pixel to pixel jump that gives not just what I want results.

Dale

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
Do you mean Free Transform? I'm using CS3. How does rotating the canvas and cropping differ from rotating the Crop frame? You're still stuck with that pixel to pixel jump that gives not just what I want results.

Dale

I Think what the OP is reffering to is that when he turns the pictures to straighten it, the Crop selection also moves... when you use a Multi Touch trackpad to turn the Picture, you are not not turning the picture itself but just the view.. its weird to explain :rolleyes:

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
4312866602_1ac62cd1b7.jpg

I think that is his problem, you can see ho the crop box turns as well as the Picture itsef

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
How to Straighten a photo.

Too straighten a photo :
Take the Ruler tool , draw a line on your photo that lines up with the element in the photo that you would like to straighten. Such as the horizon or a fence post.

Then go to Image, Image Rotation, Arbitrary and click. Your photo is now straight !

Next use your crop tool to crop to size and crop away edges.

I cannot hold a camera straight , thats how I know this !

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
didn't want to start a new thread,

but when i crop a picture using preview, the file size gets smaller, and isn't the same as the original. is it better to crop the photo in photoshop or it doesn't matter.

i just want to make sure i get the same image quality.

thanks!

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
didn't want to start a new thread,

but when i crop a picture using preview, the file size gets smaller, and isn't the same as the original. is it better to crop the photo in photoshop or it doesn't matter.

i just want to make sure i get the same image quality.

thanks!

Most certainly better in Photoshop ! Photoshop will take care of up sizing the photo for you when you use the crop tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.