Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manek43509

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Norwich, UK
I should start by saying I haven't experienced this myself, this is an issue my dad is having on his MacBook Pro, so I am just relaying what he has described to me… But it does sound extremely odd, and I wonder whether anyone has any insights because it has me completely stumped!

So my dad has the Mac setup to 'Minimise windows into application icon' in the Dock preferences pane. (Which, in my opinion is very sensible; my girlfriend has her Mac set to minimise windows to the right of the dock, and I can't see why anyone would want them all to rack up over there – minimising things should create less clutter on the screen, not more! But I digress slightly.)

My dad tells me that sometimes, he minimises a window and it minimises into the Dock icon, as per his settings – but then if he closes the lid of the MacBook to put it to sleep, when he reopens the lid the minimised windows have 'jumped' and are over on the right-hand side of the Dock (as if he didn't have 'Minimise windows into application icon' ticked in the System Preferences).

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Or know what could be causing something like that to happen?

I have told my dad that if the issues persist I will try switching the SATA ribbon inside his MacBook Pro and see whether that solves it. If that doesn't solve it, I'm not sure what else to try (he has a relatively new SSD in the machine already, which I installed for him). Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome!

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Maybe try updating the Mojave install to a later build? And no haven’t seen that happen. Changing the SATA cable wouldn’t help

Manek43509

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Norwich, UK
Maybe try updating the Mojave install to a later build? And no haven’t seen that happen. Changing the SATA cable wouldn’t help
Thanks. That should be the latest version of Mojave, but I will check for any updates pending and see whether that fixes it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.