Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revyTH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Hi guys, I have a strange issue: a persistent black hole in the middle of the top menu bar. The weird thing is that if I take a screenshot this doesn't show up, I had to take a picture using my phone. Any idea how to fix?

Schermata 2022-05-25 alle 00.33.37.png

Schermata 2022-05-25 alle 00.30.22.png

MacOS 12.4
MBP 14 M1 Max

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Am I dreaming? I am quite sure it wasn't there before... o_O
Yep, it's always been there. Perhaps you were using a different desktop background before, where it's darker at the top to help hide the notch? It's also hidden when you use apps full screen, maybe you were used to that?

If you do want to get rid of it, there are ways to hide it...

revyTH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Yep, it's always been there. Perhaps you were using a different desktop background before, where it's darker at the top to help hide the notch? It's also hidden when you use apps full screen, maybe you were used to that?

If you do want to get rid of it, there are ways to hide it...
That's probably it, I was using the default macos background which is black on the top center. Wow I hate that notch 😩

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Not sure if OP is being sarcastic or serious. But really, that notch could've housed a whole FaceID system in there. It's a huge laptop ffs :rolleyes:

Reactions: yitwail

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Not sure if OP is being sarcastic or serious. But really, that notch could've housed a whole FaceID system in there. It's a huge laptop ffs :rolleyes:
The thickness of the screen would have to be a lot thicker then it is now to be able to house the Face ID hardware. And people are already complaining about how thick the new MacBook Pro computers are now.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 9.16.39 AM.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

"The notch" is what it is.
You can't remove it.
All you can do is "learn to live with it".
(as heard on the police car radio... "that is all"...)

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Hi guys, I have a strange issue: a persistent black hole in the middle of the top menu bar. The weird thing is that if I take a screenshot this doesn't show up, I had to take a picture using my phone. Any idea how to fix?

View attachment 2009186

View attachment 2009185

MacOS 12.4
MBP 14 M1 Max
Looks like a display defect. I'd take it to the Apple Store and see if they can fix it.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Talk with some Apple engineers I know - now I am 100% sure that you can completely and easily avoid it
IF
you just do not open your laptop.

Please don’t thank me, it’s just that Apple would… 😎

NoelWalker

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2021
If OP is being serious here, it does show how amazingly good the contrast of the miniLED display is :p:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.