Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Polly Mercocet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2020
LDN
This is a very weird one... so got my M1 MBA yesterday and have been setting it all up. I upgraded to Big Sur 11.0.1 as soon as I got it out the box.

Then I signed into iCloud, unticked the stuff I didn't want to use, the stuff I kept ticked synced fine (and still does), I was able to download some apps from the Mac App Store with my Apple ID, basically it all seems to work as it should.

But I have an error in System Preferences: "Update Apple ID settings. Some account services will not be available until you sign in again."

Bit odd but I know how flakey iCloud can be so I hit the button to sign in again, it accepted my password no problem, then it asked for my iPhone's passcode and here's where things got weird. I assume this is so it can access end-to-end encrypted stuff stored in iCloud. Fair enough.

The weird part is it did not accept my iPhone's passcode. I triple checked it and it simply did not work. It kept saying passcode incorrect.

Now the really weird part that had me worried for a bit was when the my actual iPhone stopped accepting my passcode right after. I use this iPhone daily and have used the same passcode for years. There is no doubt it is correct.

Face ID worked fine, but if I tried to unlock my iPhone with my passcode it would not accept it. This was true on the lock screen and in the passcode settings.

Eventually after 5 "incorrect" attempts it locked me out of my phone. Thankfully, once the one minute limit had passed, my passcode suddenly worked again.

However, after that, it again stopped working. It seems as if it polls iCloud for the passcode except when you're locked out or something. Because iCloud was convinced the passcode was incorrect it wouldn't allow me to unlock my phone with it.

Once I cancelled the iCloud sign-in on my M1 MBA and left it a few minutes, all seems to be back to normal. My iPhone now accepts my passcode again and the existing iCloud services I set up on my MBA work fine.

This is honestly a bit worrying though. Apparently an iCloud bug can lock you out of your iPhone even if your 100% local encrypted passcode is correct.

And simply trying to sign in to iCloud on my M1 MBA running Big Sur 11.0.1 currently triggers this.

Since the reported lack of access to certain iCloud services is not actually affecting my use case I'm just leaving it for now, but this is a strange bug that seems to exist either in Big Sur, iOS 14.2, M1 Macs, or possibly all three.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I searched around and found reports stretching back years of people having issues with their iCloud passwords not being accepted, but nothing like what just happened to me here with the iPhone passcode verification.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Why did you put your iPhone passcode into your Mac though? You should use 2FA code sent to your phone instead.

thebigf80

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2020
Austria
I had this "Update Apple ID settings. Some account services will not be available until you sign in again." several times yesterday on almost all my devices because I did change my AppleID password. It required 2FA, later on passcodes, mostly from the same device it was displayed on with the exception of the mac password requrested on my iphone,.. but it never was an issue on any device.

Apart from that I am facing the issue that the payment & delivery tab in the preferences app is always empty (but works in App Store). Do you have the same issue?

Polly Mercocet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2020
LDN
Why did you put your iPhone passcode into your Mac though? You should use 2FA code sent to your phone instead.

They are two separate things. The code sent to your iPhone is 2FA. Went through this in initial setup already. Worked fine.

The iPhone passcode is so I can access end-to-end encrypted data within iCloud, e.g. iCloud Keychain. Since I don't use that anyway I cancelled the process and just left it. But I still find it concerning that a bug like this appears to have the potential to lock me out of my iPhone.

Apart from that I am facing the issue that the payment & delivery tab in the preferences app is always empty (but works in App Store). Do you have the same issue?

Payment and shipping shows up fine in System Preferences for me. Although it shows currency in $ despite me living in the UK and having a UK account. Odd.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
But I still find it concerning that a bug like this appears to have the potential to lock me out of my iPhone.
I can’t possibly see how this could be the case. Your iPhone password can’t be disabled or changed remotely. It’s a purely on device password. Requiring it for another reason, ie e2e iCloud stuff is one thing, but getting it wrong would just mean denied access, not result in somehow affecting your iPhone locally.

Polly Mercocet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2020
LDN
I can’t possibly see how this could be the case. Your iPhone password can’t be disabled or changed remotely. It’s a purely on device password. Requiring it for another reason, ie e2e iCloud stuff is one thing, but getting it wrong would just mean denied access, not result in somehow affecting your iPhone locally.

What can I say except it literally just happened to me. My iPhone passcode wasn't accepted on either my Mac or my iPhone. Only after I cancelled the iCloud sign in on my Mac did the passcode fully work on my iPhone again.

I suspect there is a bug somewhere down the line with the iCloud passcode verification causing this. I have no idea if it's to do with M1 specifically or if it's a just general bug in macOS Big Sur or iOS 14.2 or even just some type of temporary iCloud server issue. But it's exactly what happened.

The iPhone did seem to fall back to the local passcode when I got 5 "incorrect" attempts and had to enter my passcode to reenable Face ID after a minute was up, but in every other instance it just kept saying my passcode was incorrect until I cancelled the iCloud sign in on my MBA.

This does suggest to me that, in specific instances at least, the iPhone will report the passcode as being incorrect because iCloud says so even if it isn't.

Of course I am aware the iPhone passcode and encryption is all done locally which is what makes this so strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.