Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tokenmacdude

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Aloha everyone,

I have an iPhone XS Max running iOS 12.1.2 and a Mid 2015 MBP running macOS Mojave 10.14.3 (public) Beta. In the macOS beta is iTunes 12.9.2.5. I have come across a really strange issue, one that has never come up while using beta software before.

I have attached a couple of screenshots ti illustrate the issue, but I have upgraded my iPhone to iOS 12.1.2, which is indicated in iTunes, but it still wants to upgrade my iPhone ti iOS 12.1.2 for some reason. Has anyone else experienced this unexpected behavior or know how to resolve this error?

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Just had it happen to me, I haven’t connected to my computer since before updating on my phone. After thinking about it just let iTunes do it’s thing and I updated again. Now everybody is happy. :)

Dustin Lenzz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Aloha everyone,

I have an iPhone XS Max running iOS 12.1.2 and a Mid 2015 MBP running macOS Mojave 10.14.3 (public) Beta. In the macOS beta is iTunes 12.9.2.5. I have come across a really strange issue, one that has never come up while using beta software before.

I have attached a couple of screenshots ti illustrate the issue, but I have upgraded my iPhone to iOS 12.1.2, which is indicated in iTunes, but it still wants to upgrade my iPhone ti iOS 12.1.2 for some reason. Has anyone else experienced this unexpected behavior or know how to resolve this error?

There are two different builds of iOS 12.1.2, if you did an update to the first version of 12.1.2 when it first released you could be on the earlier build. There was another release of 12.1.2 that has a later build number. This release won’t show up for an OTA update if you already are on 12.1.2, however, it is available as an update in iTunes if you connect your phone to your system via plugging it in with a cable. The original build number of 12.1.2 is 16C101, the revised build number is 16C104. Apparently, even though the original build had a fix for cellular connectivity in Turkey, it may have inadvertently caused issues with cellular connectivity in other parts of the world. The revised release may have been put out in part to mitigate those issues.

tokenmacdude

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
There are two different builds of iOS 12.1.2, if you did an update to the first version of 12.1.2 when it first released you could be on the earlier build. There was another release of 12.1.2 that has a later build number. This release won’t show up for an OTA update if you already are on 12.1.2, however, it is available as an update in iTunes if you connect your phone to your system via plugging it in with a cable. The original build number of 12.1.2 is 16C101, the revised build number is 16C104. Apparently, even though the original build had a fix for cellular connectivity in Turkey, it may have inadvertently caused issues with cellular connectivity in other parts of the world. The revised release may have been put out in part to mitigate those issues.

Aloha Dustin,

Thanks for the info. I do, in fact, have 16C101 on my iPhone. I have not experienced any issues with cellular connectivity, so I think I'll just wait until the next iOS upgrade. Thanks again for your response.
[doublepost=1545691440][/doublepost]
Just had it happen to me, I haven’t connected to my computer since before updating on my phone. After thinking about it just let iTunes do it’s thing and I updated again. Now everybody is happy. :)

Aloha burgman,

As I mentioned to Dustin, I think I'll just wait for the next iOS upgrade. I don't see any reason to upgrade now, but if you can think of anything I'm missing, please let me know.

Reactions: Dustin Lenzz

Dustin Lenzz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Aloha Dustin,

Thanks for the info. I do, in fact, have 16C101 on my iPhone. I have not experienced any issues with cellular connectivity, so I think I'll just wait until the next iOS upgrade. Thanks again for your response.

Sounds good. I’ve seen that sentiment expressed by some others - with regards to waiting until 12.1.3 drops, and then to update to that release. I’m on the earlier build of 12.1.2 myself and I haven’t noticed any cellular issues either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.