Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Hi Guys,

I found strange mark on part which is between body and screen.

Is it normal? Is it rubber part or plastic part? This is MacBook Pro 2017 13 inch.

yimk6jwc.jpg

q6mt9cqj.jpg

Can I ignore this? Is it factory thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hi Guys,

I found strange mark on part which is between body and screen.

Is it normal? Is it rubber part or plastic part? This is MacBook Pro 2017 13 inch.

yimk6jwc.jpg

q6mt9cqj.jpg

Can I ignore this? Is it factory thing?

Have you tried to clean it off to see if it’s just a smudge? Otherwise at worst it is probably just a blemish/discoloration

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Hey,

Yes I tried to clean it off by screen protector wipes and microfibre cloth - no result. It is still visible. Is it something normal on this devices? I found it today when I tried to clean pollen by piece of paper.

Is this thing plastic or rubber? I cannot check it perfectly :/

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I believe it is plastic, it doesn't appear to have any flexibility. My guess is that it is purely cosmetic, but sometimes those kinds of things become a "Once seen they cannot be unseen" kind of scenario.

If it bothers you, then I would suggest exchanging it. You paid a lot for your laptop and with that cost, the right to exchange it if not completely satisfied.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
I believe it is plastic, it doesn't appear to have any flexibility. My guess is that it is purely cosmetic, but sometimes those kinds of things become a "Once seen they cannot be unseen" kind of scenario.

If it bothers you, then I would suggest exchanging it. You paid a lot for your laptop and with that cost, the right to exchange it if not completely satisfied.

It does not bother me. I am trying figure out what is it and how it was created. You thing factory one ?

Looks like the residue of a smashed bug. Maybe one go caught down there when you closed the screen.
Not it is not I tried to clean it.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
It does not bother me. I am trying figure out what is it and how it was created. You thing factory one ?

Not it is not I tried to clean it.

It’s possible. How long have you had it? If you have had it awhile is it possible something small got trapped in there and caused some pressure? Plastic can discolor like that from a pressure point.

If it was like that from the beginning, it could just be discoloration, which will effect appearance, but nothing else.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
It’s possible. How long have you had it? If you have had it awhile is it possible something small got trapped in there and caused some pressure? Plastic can discolor like that from a pressure point.

If it was like that from the beginning, it could just be discoloration, which will effect appearance, but nothing else.

I have it for 1,5 week. I only use it at home. I do not use it outside my home. Use factory paper between screen and keyboard which was included to MacBook from start. Sometimes I carry my laptop using only one hand - but I do not think that it is caused by it.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I have it for 1,5 week. I only use it at home. I do not use it outside my home. Use factory paper between screen and keyboard which was included to MacBook from start. Sometimes I carry my laptop using only one hand - but I do not think that it is caused by it.

Do you feel it suddenly appeared rather than you are just now noticing it? If so, if you have an Apple store nearby, it might be worth making an appointment and getting their opinion. Obviously it shouldn't just appear if you are certain nothing was trapped in the space when the lid was closed or something.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Do you feel it suddenly appeared rather than you are just now noticing it? If so, if you have an Apple store nearby, it might be worth making an appointment and getting their opinion. Obviously it shouldn't just appear if you are certain nothing was trapped in the space when the lid was closed or something.
There is no Apple Stores in my country. I think that it was from beginning but I did't watched this part of my computer only today when I saw dust I tired to clean it up. I am 100% sure that didn't leave something when I closed lid. I am checking twice. Only thing is this paper from Apple which I set between keyboard and screen - that's all

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
There is no Apple Stores in my country. I think that it was from beginning but I did't watched this part of my computer only today when I saw dust I tired to clean it up. I am 100% sure that didn't leave something when I closed lid. I am checking twice. Only thing is this paper from Apple which I set between keyboard and screen - that's all

I think you are probably correct that it was there from the beginning. In which case it is almost certainly just a cosmetic flaw and doesn’t effect the strength of the plastic, nor will it get any worse. If it doesn’t bother you enough to swap it, enjoy and forget about it :)

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
I think you are probably correct that it was there from the beginning. In which case it is almost certainly just a cosmetic flaw and doesn’t effect the strength of the plastic, nor will it get any worse. If it doesn’t bother you enough to swap it, enjoy and forget about it :)

I think that I will do it, because another piece after exchange could have worse defects.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think that I will do it, because another piece after exchange could have worse defects.

Yes. There is another thread from some poor guy that had a perfect machine, except he decided he didn’t really need the 1TB drive. He has had nothing but bad luck since returning his perfect machine. Sometimes you need just need to decide what you can or can’t live with, because the replacement may have a greater flaw :)

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I can't really see the area you pictured unless I stick my head into the screen and use a flashlight. I don't think you can see that from normal viewing area, so thats good. It almost looks like the seal is dry in that area. You said you been trying to clean the area so I imagine you got it moist. Did it appear the same color when it was moist while you where cleaning it?

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
I can't really see the area you pictured unless I stick my head into the screen and use a flashlight. I don't think you can see that from normal viewing area, so thats good. It almost looks like the seal is dry in that area. You said you been trying to clean the area so I imagine you got it moist. Did it appear the same color when it was moist while you where cleaning it?

I tried to clean it but it is not any dust or something like that. It is normally blask but with glare, my iPhone photos shows it as white.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I tried to clean it but it is not any dust or something like that. It is normally blask but with glare, my iPhone photos shows it as white.

oh, maybe it some dried glue they use for other parts in the assembly. If all else is perfect I would not risk an exchange given you really can't see it in normal use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.