Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonaTon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2016
Dear all,

Has anyone experienced same problem on the back of the iphone 6s?

Seems like scratches are 'chemical reaction' on the wording on the back of the phone.

It seems every little dot that appears becomes a weird scratch.

Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 3,470

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Dear all,

Seems like scratches are 'chemical reaction' on the wording on the back of the phone.

Thank you.

Looks to me like a fungus that likes to eat aluminum surfaces. Are you using a case that covers the back?

I have seen similar markings on the interior and exteriors of lenses stored in high humidity. The fungus is well known and eats the anti-reflective coatings on lenses. This coating is actually a metal that is vaporized and applied to the glass surface.

Looks to me where Apple used a laser to etch the anodized surface and expose the aluminum

Fungus.jpg

Last edited:

TonaTon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2016
Looks to me like a fungus that likes to eat anodized surfaces. Are you using a case that covers the back?

I have seen similar markings on the interior and exteriors of lenses stored in high humidity. The fungus is well known and eats the anti-reflective coatings on lenses.

I agree. I was using the case, but once I spotted the scratches I removed it with idea to prevent sand entering the case and scratch the phone.

Guarantee should cover this? Phone is 2months old.

Thank you for reply!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

SamithBunny

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
IMG_1555.jpg
IMG_1555.jpg
Dear all,

Thank you.
I have also same problem....
I already useing back cover...
If I remove back cover or use it....
Please tell me...
[doublepost=1477536019][/doublepost]
Looks to me like a fungus that likes to eat aluminum surfaces. Are you using a case that covers the back?

I have seen similar markings on the interior and exteriors of lenses stored in high humidity. The fungus is well known and eats the anti-reflective coatings on lenses. This coating is actually a metal that is vaporized and applied to the glass surface.

Looks to me where Apple used a laser to etch the anodized surface and expose the aluminum

View attachment 629091
I have also same problem....
I already useing back cover...
If I remove back cover or use it....
Please tell me...

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Wow, the OP photo looks like someone took a knife and tried to trace the letters. Looks really weird.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
There have been threads showing this before. I still think it looks like some kind of fungus or biological eating the anodized finish where the phone was laser etched. I have seen similar in old Leica lenses that had moisture damage. The fungus was eating the surface of the glass coating.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi
what market (country) did you actually purchase that iPhone in? or, maybe if you were not the original purchaser, where was the country where the original purchase was made?
even without the degradation of the coating, those numbers (0682) are very strange.
thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.