Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fbx1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
I have a (another) mid-2017 27" iMac 5K 3.8MHz w/ 2TB Fusion drive. Am within the return window from Best Buy locally.

On clicking mouse on sleeping iMac I (sometimes) get the screen as in picture below. It disappears quickly most time, or on touch of a key other times, and goes to sign-in screen where I input password.

This seems irregular to me and I'm wondering if it's been seen by others and is a known issue of some kind.

Appreciate all input--

IMG_5563 -2.jpg

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Is your software definitely up to date?

Are you running any beta software?

Have you got FileVault enabled?

fbx1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
Sierra 10.12.6, no beta software, File Vault not enabled.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Hmm. The thing is it is a common occurrence, especially for newly-released Macs, and they get fixed after a couple of software updates. The same happened with the latest MacBook Pros, for example.

On the other hand you could just exchange it to avoid problems in the future.

In the first instance, I would probably erase and reinstall macOS.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I have a (another) mid-2017 27" iMac 5K 3.8MHz w/ 2TB Fusion drive. Am within the return window from Best Buy locally.

On clicking mouse on sleeping iMac I (sometimes) get the screen as in picture below. It disappears quickly most time, or on touch of a key other times, and goes to sign-in screen where I input password.

This seems irregular to me and I'm wondering if it's been seen by others and is a known issue of some kind.

Appreciate all input--

View attachment 713647

That video output looks like a problem with with the video card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.