Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fcis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
I started having a strange sound coming from my Thunderbolt display, so today I bought an air cleaner to blow air in the fan thinking maybe it has dust but still the same problem. Attached couple of videos so if you anyone can please advise how to fix this sound?

Videos link

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
The fan is ether dying or has something lodged in it. The fan is located next to the power supply, not where your video was showing. Be very careful working next to the power supply as the risk of electrical shock is high because the leads are exposed. Follow the guide here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Apple+Thunderbolt+Display+Fan+Replacement/41648.

My recommendation is to first unplug, take the LCD assembly off, and disconnect the cables from the fan running over to the logic board. With the display connected to a thunderbolt equipped computer plug power back in (it will still work without the LCD) and see if the sound is still present. This just assures that the fan is indeed the culprit. Follow the fixit guide linked above if it is indeed the fan and remove the fan from the chassis and try giving it a good clean. If the noise persists, you'll need to order a replacement fan from eBay or something.

Fcis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
The fan is ether dying or has something lodged in it. The fan is located next to the power supply, not where your video was showing. Be very careful working next to the power supply as the risk of electrical shock is high because the leads are exposed. Follow the guide here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Apple+Thunderbolt+Display+Fan+Replacement/41648.

My recommendation is to first unplug, take the LCD assembly off, and disconnect the cables from the fan running over to the logic board. With the display connected to a thunderbolt equipped computer plug power back in (it will still work without the LCD) and see if the sound is still present. This just assures that the fan is indeed the culprit. Follow the fixit guide linked above if it is indeed the fan and remove the fan from the chassis and try giving it a good clean. If the noise persists, you'll need to order a replacement fan from eBay or something.
I've tried that and uploaded a video on the same dropbox link if you can check it? I see the fan is not working but still the sound persists. After taking this video, I connected all the cables again and while putting back the screen the plastic strip was torn as shown in the uploaded photo, but the problem is that the screen now never turns on or feel anything when connecting it to a mac. Any advice? maybe it's a power supply issue? I tried using another power cable and it doesn't work, what steps I can follow to make it alive again? Thank you very much.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I've tried that and uploaded a video on the same dropbox link if you can check it? I see the fan is not working but still the sound persists. After taking this video, I connected all the cables again and while putting back the screen the plastic strip was torn as shown in the uploaded photo, but the problem is that the screen now never turns on or feel anything when connecting it to a mac. Any advice? maybe it's a power supply issue? I tried using another power cable and it doesn't work, what steps I can follow to make it alive again? Thank you very much.
Before verifying if the display cables are seated properly, connect everything and please post a screenshot of the thunderbolt section in the system report of about this Mac to verify if the display is communicating/receiving power?

Fcis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
Before verifying if the display cables are seated properly, connect everything and please post a screenshot of the thunderbolt section in the system report of about this Mac to verify if the display is communicating/receiving power?
I just checked and it says "No device connected" in the 4 of them. Maybe there is a powercable inside the display that I disconnected by mistake? I made sure the 3 cables of the fan are connected back again, but even before reconnecting them the display was working when I took the new video showing that the fan wasn't working but the sound persisted, so I am not sure why it suddenly stopped working

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.