Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halpin13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Hello all,

I am currently having a strange issue with my username and password.

I am working on a late 2009 iMac running High Sierra. I wanted to change the username "User" and the password "password". So I went in to the user and groups, unlocked the settings, right clicked advance setting and changed the info. I resetting the computer.

I logged back in but the username was still "User" but the password that worked was the new password. Strange.

I am now in the computer so I go to install the new chrome but my username and password is incorrect :0.

I dont understand how i can get on to the computer but not be able to do any administration actions.

Can anyone help me out please?

Thank you

Michael

halpin13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
You cannot change the username as far as I am aware as it is the name of your home folder too.

Strange how the password works to login but then the same username and password does not work to install programmes, empty the trash, unlock admin info etc

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
from what i gather the original username is the admin and you have to use that for install/uninstall apps etc.

I'm no expert as relative newcomer to mac myself.

halpin13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
from what i gather the original username is the admin and you have to use that for install/uninstall apps etc.

I'm no expert as relative newcomer to mac myself.

Yer i've used the same username I used to login but when its comes to doing anything else it isnt working. I'm lost

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.