Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Today I noticed that there's a small ripple/smudge shaped bright spot on the left edge of my display. You can see it on the photo below but in real life it's more noticeable. It appears to be behind the glass and it is only visible from certain angles, a bit like a hologram. It's only visible on bright backgrounds. It's not worn screen coating as it even appears to be behind the screen contents.

MacBook Pro 16 inch Intel 2019.

I have AppleCare, so I wonder if they would consider fixing something like this. I've always been super careful with my machine and I've never dropped or even bumped it against anything, I always use a soft case and I keep it on my desk most of the time.

IMG_2800.JPG

Last edited:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Probably will depend if they consider a defect (will be repaired no charge), or damage (will be repaired minus ADH deductible), or "cosmetic damage not affecting the functionality of the Covered Equipment" (will not be covered.)

Hard to say. If there is any nearby sign of impact, scratches, dents or liquid entry, it is not a defect.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Are you sure that there hasn't been too much pressure against the screen at any time (eg. books, inadvertently pressing too hard with fingers, or in a bag with other items) ? I could be wrong but, that picture looks like possible pressure damage.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Are you sure that there hasn't been too much pressure against the screen at any time (eg. books, inadvertently pressing too hard with fingers, or in a bag with other items) ? I could be wrong but, that picture looks like possible pressure damage.
I sometimes transport it in a backpack (a North Face bag that has a hard laptop compartment) and I also put it in a soft case within the backpack... and I'm super careful with it, I don't put other items in the backpack and I treat it like I spent a whole year's of my profits on it (which I did). But it's a laptop made of metal... I didn't do anything with it that could put pressure on it like that.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Looks like one of the polarizing sheets (to spread the backlight evenly) has been damaged or is defective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.