Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Just thought I would give (a bit late as the app was updated on the 6th of March) warning to the users of strava who use functionality of both the Apple Watch and the iPhone, the latest version in the store (5.14.0) has introduced a new version of the watch app that no longer has a any correlation to the iPhone app. What that means is that previously when an event was started on the watch, the iPhone app would also start an event. Statistical information could then be displayed on the iPhone (usually mounted on the handlebars) while the watch recorded heart rate and gave other visual information. In the latest version of the app, if you start an event on the watch, the event is only displayed on the watch. The iPhone app does not know at all that the watch is recording an event. In fact, if you then start an event on the iPhone, you'll end up with two recordings for the same activity.

For someone like myself that just uses the watch as the HR monitor (no need to go into inaccuracies etc as it is good enough) and have other sensors connected to my phone (via bluetooth), it is a real step backwards for I now have to decide to have an activity recorded with my phone to get the bike sensor information, or recorded with my watch to get the heart rate information.

There are many upset cyclists posting on the strava forum, but I thought that no everyone who will be impacted by this reads those forums - hence my PSA here.

I was fortunate enough to have found an older version (December last year) sitting in my iTunes app, so I could downgrade, but if you don't and you want the connection, hold off on updating until they reimplement that functionality, or an alternative is found.

Happy cycling.

PS, the reason I signalled out cycling is that I am a cyclist and I know a lot of cyclists who use the phone mounted on their bike as a display, I don't think runners use there phones in such a way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.