Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamerG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
Hi folks

Went out for a run this morning and noticed that my Strava AW app had updated.

Because it has updated to use the GPS in series 2 it seems to now be utterly useless for my original series AW - it no longer links to the app on my my phone (so no verbal notifications when running with headphones), it doesn't auto pause (presumably because no GPS in my watch - very important to me as I run with my dog), and I'm guessing as there's no GPS in my watch the distance will be hopelessly inaccurate.

I stopped and re-started my run from my phone, but that had no effect on the app on the watch, so I ended up running without any info on my watch at all.

Seems to me that this renders the Strava app on AW useless for me (and probably anyone who doesn't own a series 2). Are the other main running apps the same?

The only thing I can think of is from now on to have Strava running on my phone and the Apple activity app running on my watch. Any other ideas?

daerve

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Try cyclemeter or runmeter is the running version I believe.

You have to pay for elite features which are about £8 a year but worth it and will auto export to Strava when you're done.

Reactions: ZebraDude

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
Hi folks

Went out for a run this morning and noticed that my Strava AW app had updated.

Because it has updated to use the GPS in series 2 it seems to now be utterly useless for my original series AW - it no longer links to the app on my my phone (so no verbal notifications when running with headphones), it doesn't auto pause (presumably because no GPS in my watch - very important to me as I run with my dog), and I'm guessing as there's no GPS in my watch the distance will be hopelessly inaccurate.

I stopped and re-started my run from my phone, but that had no effect on the app on the watch, so I ended up running without any info on my watch at all.

Seems to me that this renders the Strava app on AW useless for me (and probably anyone who doesn't own a series 2). Are the other main running apps the same?

The only thing I can think of is from now on to have Strava running on my phone and the Apple activity app running on my watch. Any other ideas?

Actually if you start the run from your watch, and carry your phone it still uses the phones GPS. But it no longer acts as a second display for the phone app.

Basically the watch is doing all the work and just pulling the GPS coordinates from the phone.

The next release of the app is supposed to add back audio ques.

As a Series 2 owner I am fine with it since I don't run with my phone. I think a lot of Series 0 and 1 owners are not happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.