Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefe2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
San Francisco Bay Area
I’d like to watch the upcoming 2018 Rose Bowl parade, but I’m one of those much ballyhooed cord cutters. Does anyone know if the parade will be streaming in a channel or app that I can access on my 4th gen Apple TV?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Looks like the Rose Parade will be aired on ABC on Monday morning. This means about the only way you will be able to watch it is by either using an antenna, or subscribe to one of the many OTT streaming services that offers your local network affiliates in the package. These streaming services include Hulu with Live TV, DirecTV Now, Playstation Vue, etc.

Reactions: jefe2000

jefe2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks, @mallbritton! I’d seen that ABC would be broadcasting it, but couldn’t find mention of the parade on their website nor mention of whether it’d be shown in the “live TV” section of the the Apple TV ABC app.

jefe2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
San Francisco Bay Area
I'd emailed the Rose Parade MarCom Dept., but didn't expect to hear back from them on this topic. They surprised me with a response. Here's what they say on the topic of streaming the Rose Parade:

Hi jefe2000,

The 2018 Rose Parade is streaming on the following:
Thank you for contacting the Pasadena Tournament of Roses!

The Rose Parade will be streamed online via Amazon Prime. If you are not a Prime member, you can access the streams online via KTLA, ABC, HGTV, and Hallmark.

Best wishes and thank you for being a part of America’s New Year Celebration!

Happy New Year!

Marketing and Communications Department
Pasadena Tournament of Roses

391 South Orange Grove Blvd.
Pasadena, California 91184
E: communications@tournamentofroses.com
O: 626.449.4100

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I'd emailed the Rose Parade MarCom Dept., but didn't expect to hear back from them on this topic. They surprised me with a response. Here's what they say on the topic of streaming the Rose Parade:

The live tv feature of th TV app is for sports only at this time. No other live tv is supported. To access live streams on those web sites you’ll still need to log in with cable or satellite credentials. As far as I know it won’t be streaming for free.

Reactions: jefe2000

jefe2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
San Francisco Bay Area
To access live streams on those web sites you’ll still need to log in with cable or satellite credentials.

That’s a really good point. I tried the live TV option in the ABC app on the Apple TV and it asked me to log in with cable or other credentials. That’s a no go for me.

Well, the parade starts in ½ an hour; hopefully I’ll find some way to see it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.