Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bashful llama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2019
Hello MacRumors,

Ran into an issue yesterday after installing High Sierra onto my 5,1. I upgraded my 5,1 to HS as a part of my journey to Mojave, installation was fine and easy. My machine was previously running Sierra and Windows 10 on separate SSDs and I was able to switch back and forth using system preferences in macOS and bootcamp drivers in Windows. After I updated to HS I went over to Windows through "disk startup" (which has been working for me the last couple of days, in Win10 I select bootcamp "restart in os x" and it goes back in no problem).

In Windows 10, I realized that I should have installed windows 10 pro, so I was trying to figure out how to do that without paying $200 for a key. I figured I could go back into Mac, erase the drive and reinstall windows through a boot disc I created and bootcamp process I did the other day. I tried to go back to HS and I just got sent back to Windows. Kept restarting and getting sent to only windows.
-I tried resetting PRAM (win+alt+p+r) and I am still sent to windows.
-I tried holding the option key (alt for me) and still sent to windows.
-I tried holding down the power button for the long beep tone and still only boot to windows.
-I tried unplugging all cords and replugging them and still only windows. I looked in bootcamp on windows and it only shows the windows SSD (windows and hs are on separate SSDs).
-I took out the windows ssd and it says "no bootable device", which I thought was a PRAM issue. I tried changing the port my usb keyboard was plugged into and nothing there either.
-I figured this was an APFS drive issue, so I tried to install bootcamp drivers 6.1, but I am told these are not compatible with my machine and don't get an install. I have used brigadier several times and installed the latest drivers from there, but when I select bootcamp in windows it only shows the windows SSD and doesnt even detect the mac os drive anymore.

I am thinking this is a keyboard issue, so I am going to try and get a different (mac approved) keyboard today as I am currently on a windows one. I will try and reset the PRAM with that and see if that works, because currently the system is not booting to recovery mode or PRAM reset etc. The keyboard was previously working in windows and macOS so maybe it isn't an issue.

Does anyone have any tips on getting back into HS, and how can I prevent this from happening in the future? Will this happen when I upgrade to Mojave? This is my first Mac ever, so any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Reactions: startergo

bashful llama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2019
Your macOS is on a SATA drive?

Which GPU you are using?

Did you uninstall the previous Bootcamp apps before you tried to install Bootcamp 6.1?

Yea, both OS are on a SATA SSD.
I am using the ATI Radeon 5770 that came with the machine.
I couldn't ever find a direct download for Bootcamp 6.1, so I just used brigadier to try and update my bootcamp. I never did any uninstalling of bootcamp apps. I did go into the control panel and tried to uninstall from there, but I didn't have the option to uninstall the app.
[doublepost=1549297049][/doublepost]
I posted about this a while back, maybe it will help: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/bootcamp-woes.2114109/#post-25965986

I am a big fan of using easyUEFI program for switching between windows and OS X. No bootable device error is caused by the OS X disk selection in my experience. Be aware that you can always physically remove your bootcamp volume (and if necessary perform pram/smc resets) to return to OS X.

I did try to remove the bootcamp volume and it came up with the black screen saying "no bootable device". I have also tried doing a PRAM reset (holdin win+alt+p+r on my keyboard) and it still went straight to windows. I am going to try a different keyboard and see if that works for the PRAM reset though.

Also, easyUEFI will not install on my system. Says it is only for (U)EFI-based Windows operating system. I believe I instaled via legacy/BIOS to try and avoid bricking my firmware.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yea, both OS are on a SATA SSD.
I am using the ATI Radeon 5770 that came with the machine.
I couldn't ever find a direct download for Bootcamp 6.1, so I just used brigadier to try and update my bootcamp. I never did any uninstalling of bootcamp apps. I did go into the control panel and tried to uninstall from there, but I didn't have the option to uninstall the app.
[doublepost=1549297049][/doublepost]

I did try to remove the bootcamp volume and it came up with the black screen saying "no bootable device". I have also tried doing a PRAM reset (holdin win+alt+p+r on my keyboard) and it still went straight to windows. I am going to try a different keyboard and see if that works for the PRAM reset though.

You CANNOT upgrade bootcamp apps. MUST uninstall the old one, then install the new one.

Both uninstall Bootcamp 5.1 and Bootcamp 6.1 installation can only be done in DOS prompt.

You also need the EXACT Bootcamp 5.1 installer to uninstall the Bootcamp 5.1.

It's an annoying procedure, you can't just upgrade / cover on top / or force new version installation...

PRAM reset should work in your case. Are you using wired keyboard?

Reactions: bashful llama

bashful llama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2019
You CANNOT upgrade bootcamp apps. MUST uninstall the old one, then install the new one.

Both uninstall Bootcamp 5.1 and Bootcamp 6.1 installation can only be done in DOS prompt.

You also need the EXACT Bootcamp 5.1 installer to uninstall the Bootcamp 5.1.

It's an annoying procedure, you can't just upgrade / cover on top / or force new version installation...

PRAM reset should work in your case. Are you using wired keyboard?

No I am using this keyboard (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D34L57F/ref=psdc_12879431_t1_B073TSKFRX). So I am going to go get an apple approved keyboard like a logitech or something that still isn't $100 and try a PRAM reset.

Sorry to be such a noob about installing and uninstalling Bootcamp, but what are the commands for uninstalling and installing bootcamp 5.1 and 6.1 respectively? Also, where can I even get a download of 6.1? I have been searching and can't seem to find the drivers.

I tried following the instructions in here (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...TdNVyz0e0zHKpes2QRlXfzGm1wycTvjojcu5Yo5CQHYnI) but when I got to step 22, it says windows 7 needs to be installed and quits.\

EDIT: NEVERMIND. I did those steps above in a differeent order (uninstalled, then did the imacpro1,1 install) and I am back in MacOS now. Bootcamp in Windows was 6.1 now and can see my MacOS drive. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. I am going to boot back and forth a few times to see if it works forever. Also, with this headache not sure if I will upgrade to Mojave haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
No I am using this keyboard (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D34L57F/ref=psdc_12879431_t1_B073TSKFRX). So I am going to go get an apple approved keyboard like a logitech or something that still isn't $100 and try a PRAM reset.

Sorry to be such a noob about installing and uninstalling Bootcamp, but what are the commands for uninstalling and installing bootcamp 5.1 and 6.1 respectively? Also, where can I even get a download of 6.1? I have been searching and can't seem to find the drivers.

I tried following the instructions in here (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...TdNVyz0e0zHKpes2QRlXfzGm1wycTvjojcu5Yo5CQHYnI) but when I got to step 22, it says windows 7 needs to be installed and quits.\

EDIT: NEVERMIND. I did those steps above in a differeent order (uninstalled, then did the imacpro1,1 install) and I am back in MacOS now. Bootcamp in Windows was 6.1 now and can see my MacOS drive. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. I am going to boot back and forth a few times to see if it works forever. Also, with this headache not sure if I will upgrade to Mojave haha.

Good to know that you solved the problem.

That guide is for clean installation. In your case, you have to do the uninstallation first (which you already figured out how to do it).

And I don't think you need any expensive keyboard. But a USB keyboard will be much more guarantee can do the PRAM reset (BT keyboard may not even connected at that stage).

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

I’ve read this before, but I’ve never had to remove the old drivers 1st. I get a warning, but I ignore it, and it lets me proceed (2 different install occasions) and the new drivers are working fine.

I’m not sure what’s going on with this.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I’ve read this before, but I’ve never had to remove the old drivers 1st. I get a warning, but I ignore it, and it lets me proceed (2 different install occasions) and the new drivers are working fine.

I’m not sure what’s going on with this.

Not the drivers associated with the package, but the Bootcamp apps itself.

I tried multiple times, no way to properly install the new one without remove the old one first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.