Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Okay, so a month ago I noticed a dot in the upper-right portion of my screen. Looks like a dead pixel, hardly noticeable (only on webpages where it's white right there). My question is, is it a dead or stuck pixel?

If I view it at different angles, the color changes. At a couple of angles, I can't even see it (I'm 19 and have perfect vision, so age isn't causing me not to see, yet... :p). I think it's stuck and have tried some software solutions but have no avail. Thoughts/suggestions? Not really a bother, but if I could get rid of it it'd be nice (bought in April, can't obviously take back within 14 day period). Thanks!

Last edited:

gakuran hitori

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2008
From my understanding a dead pixel is black and never changes colour because it's just not working. A stuck pixel is a confused pixel displaying the wrong colour; while it may just stay one colour no matter what or change slightly depending on the background, it's never quite right. In the case of a dead pixel nothing can be done but I've read stories of stuck pixels fixing themselves over time. There are also many programs and websites that claim to fix them by flashing bright colours on your screen at a rapid speed. I've even read claims that massaging the the screen over the pixel will fix it, but I have no experience with any of this.

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Okay, so a month ago I noticed a dot in the upper-right portion of my screen. Looks like a dead pixel, hardly noticeable (only on webpages where it's white right there). My question is, is it a dead or stuck pixel?

If I view it at different angles, the color changes. At a couple of angles, I can't even see it (I'm 19 and have perfect vision, so age isn't causing me not to see, yet... :p). I think it's stuck and have tried some software solutions but have no avail. Thoughts/suggestions? Not really a bother, but if I could get rid of it it'd be nice (bought in April, can't obviously take back within 14 day period). Thanks!

Obviously you're too cool. Deal with it. If not, bring it in for warranty work. BTW, I'm 76 and have perfect vision.

1. How long is my MacBook Pro covered by Apple’s warranty?
Your MacBook Pro is covered by Apple’s Limited Warranty for one year. Warranty service for eligible repairs is available at no charge for twelve months from the date of original retail purchase ("date of purchase").

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Would they really do anything since it's only 1 pixel? I've read leaked policies that it's around 5-8 before they do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.