Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baconcow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
I just returned from the Apple Store (Canada) where I returned my fourth iPad Pro (10.5") in a row with a stuck pixel. Before that, the first iPad had sort of scratch across the screen. During the replacement, the manager was brought up and he mentioned something along the lines of this being my last replacement. I think he said he would allow me to return the accessories I originally bought for it (now beyond 2 weeks), if this next one were to also be defective. However, he was entirely clear on this point and really made it sound like he didn't want me to have another exchange if the one I got tonight was defective. He stated he couldn't see the (red) stuck pixel (while difficult to see in the brightly lit store, was center mass and quite visible to me). He said something about needing to escalate the situation if the next one is defective.

What does all of this mean? Is this normal? I feel terrible right now. Is this really the type of support I can expect from Apple? Why do their iPads all have stuck pixels? Is it common for Apple to stop people from exchanges when they have had bad luck with defects? To make things worse, I bought the Apple Pencil at another store around the time I purchased the first iPad and it is now beyond the date of return.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I don't think your expierience is typical; however, I have had this type of experience from Apple (both from the people and the products).

You should not feel bad. You paid a lot of money for a product and deserve to have one that meets your expectations. If they say no more exchanges then return the last unit, wait a week or two, and then order one from the online store or a different Apple Store (assuming one is close by, being in Canada after all).

baconcow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I am a 10 hour drive from the next nearest Apple Store (Quebec City). Having bought Apple Care with it, I am a little concerned that they will not provide me with proper support, at the Halifax Apple Store, where I bought it.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
As far as I know Apple Care is good globally, so you should be just fine... especially in the same country. But, yeah, not a lot of options in Canada for Apple Stores.

Reactions: baconcow

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That's definitely some unfortunate purchases you made with the noted defects. My suggestion if you ever were denied a return, would just be to escalate it above the store level and have someone look into the situation. You can also provide your feedback of detailed issues that you have noted with every device you purchased. At least Apple would want to know that in terms of quality control with the scratched screen or stuck pixels.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
4 iPads with the same issue is actually something I've never heard of. Are you sure you're not being paranoid? In any case, Apple does have the right to deny return specifically based on such circumstances. The best idea is to check it within the store properly and leave only if you are satisfied.

If you go home and still notice it then return it with all accessories and also apple care, wait for a couple of weeks and then order online. That way you don't even need to drive for 10 hours but will hopefully get an iPad from a different batch.

Reactions: baconcow and bevsb2

baconcow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
4 iPads with the same issue is actually something I've never heard of. Are you sure you're not being paranoid? In any case, Apple does have the right to deny return specifically based on such circumstances. The best idea is to check it within the store properly and leave only if you are satisfied.

If you go home and still notice it then return it with all accessories and also apple care, wait for a couple of weeks and then order online. That way you don't even need to drive for 10 hours but will hopefully get an iPad from a different batch.

Thanks for the response. Definitely not paranoid, the pixels were stuck and quite visible. The green and red stuck pixels were easily seen by their employees (except the manager). The white stuck pixels were difficult to see in the store, but I saw them when on a dark screen (even in-store, although they were faint). Both my wife and I saw them quite easily, because the area we live at is quite low lit (especially compared to the Apple Store). I had a dark image, with the stuck pixel circled, to assist them seeing them. The manager kept trying to zoom in on the image. He took it out back and other employees did see it.

It never sounded like they were going to deny me a return, but perhaps not let me repurchase. I have since opened up the replacement and we do not see any stuck pixels, so I have my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Thanks for the response. Definitely not paranoid, the pixels were stuck and quite visible. The green and red stuck pixels were easily seen by their employees (except the manager). The white stuck pixels were difficult to see in the store, but I saw them when on a dark screen (even in-store, although they were faint). Both my wife and I saw them quite easily, because the area we live at is quite low lit (especially compared to the Apple Store). I had a dark image, with the stuck pixel circled, to assist them seeing them. The manager kept trying to zoom in on the image. He took it out back and other employees did see it.

It never sounded like they were going to deny me a return, but perhaps not let me repurchase. I have since opened up the replacement and we do not see any stuck pixels, so I have my fingers crossed.

Yeah by stopping return I meant to replace it with another device basically. But looks like it's all good this time. Fingers crossed. In any case for the price you pay for an iPad Pro if you're not happy then you should always return it. If they don't let you replace it then so be it.

Reactions: baconcow

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I just returned from the Apple Store (Canada) where I returned my fourth iPad Pro (10.5") in a row with a stuck pixel.

were these service replacements or retail ones. I ask because repeated retail replacements is a known trick for reseller scams here in the US so managers get watched rather closely if there's a long string of exchanges by one party. might be the same in Canada. which could be why he said no more, after this you have to go through service

baconcow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
were these service replacements or retail ones. I ask because repeated retail replacements is a known trick for reseller scams here in the US so managers get watched rather closely if there's a long string of exchanges by one party. might be the same in Canada. which could be why he said no more, after this you have to go through service

They were exchanges in-store with the on-floor reps. Not sure what could be considered a scam since all my issues could be easily verified. How could someone scam with assigned serial numbers?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
They were exchanges in-store with the on-floor reps. Not sure what could be considered a scam since all my issues could be easily verified. How could someone scam with assigned serial numbers?

its easier than you might think. My ex was an apple genius and they saw 'no power' iPads that had been pulled open and all the guts replaced with dead weights. third party displays swapped onto devices and so on. and yes they would do it on devices they had just bought and then tried to return them on the floor cause they figured the sales staff either wouldn't look or wouldn't be as knowledged to know the right weight, color for the display etc

baconcow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
its easier than you might think. My ex was an apple genius and they saw 'no power' iPads that had been pulled open and all the guts replaced with dead weights. third party displays swapped onto devices and so on. and yes they would do it on devices they had just bought and then tried to return them on the floor cause they figured the sales staff either wouldn't look or wouldn't be as knowledged to know the right weight, color for the display etc

That seems bad, especially putting dead weights into one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.