Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-pete-

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble with my 2013 MBP which I hope someone can help me with.

The touchpad moves the mouse and I can use a USB mouse for a while but as soon as I tap the pad to click it acts as if I am constantly holding down the button. If my mouse is on the top of a window it just acts as if it is dragging the window around and will not let go no matter what I do.

I've tried clearing the PRAM and the SMC, booted into recovery and even reinstalled OSX but the issue is still happening.

I'm assuming this means its a hardware fault? Has anyone had this problem before? If so is it expensive to fix?

Any help / thoughts is appreciated!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It's worth having Apple check it might be a swelling battery and that can cause some serious damage. Of course it could just be a dodgy trackpad.

Reactions: chipchen

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Sounds like a swollen battery to me too. The battery is directly under the touchpad and if it swells it presses up on the keypad.

Reactions: chipchen

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
3rd that!

Try removing the bottom cover and see if that alleviates the pressure a bit and let's you KIND OF use it like normal. If so, it's almost definitely a swollen battery.

-pete-

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Okay, thanks all.

I'm assuming this means I'm probably going to have to get a replacement battery? How much are they these days? Should I still stay away from 3rd party ones?

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
So, if you're actually using a 2013 model MBP, then it's a sucky situation because the battery is basically GLUED to the case. But if you mean you bought your MBP in 2013, but it's actually a non-retina, you can just buy a new battery. At this point, I just buy the batteries with the most 4-5 star reviews. It will be less than half Apple's price of $129, but also not be a cheap piece of crap that you typically get for $30. It might have slightly less power, but whatever, you're paying less than half.

-pete-

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Well this worked out pretty well.

I took the unit into my local Apple store, they looked at it and confirmed it was a hardware problem so I left it with them, less than 24 hours later I get a call to come pick it up.

They have replaced the top case and the battery, as I bought it from them, I live in the EU and the unit is less than 3 years old they were able to do the fix for free which - since I am currently saving for a mortgage, an engagement ring and a holiday - was somewhat of a relief to say the least!

Still the service from them has being pretty stellar, this is one of the reasons the extra cost of Apple gear is worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.